This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is there even a remote possibility of me finding a term time only nanny?

(13 Posts)
funchum8am Thu 03-Jan-13 16:31:54

Just wondering if such things exist. I am in London with one DC. If I could find a term time only nanny it might work better for my family than paying for a CM all year round when I am home in the holidays as I am a teacher. Do nannies with their own children ever look for term time only roles?

Also, does anyone know of any websites or similar where I could post looking for this? I already know about childcare.co.uk and will post on there if I decide to go this route. I guess people are going to advise me to advertise and see but just wanted to sound out the wisdom of MN nannies first to check there isn't some reason this is a ridiculous idea!

Runoutofideas Thu 03-Jan-13 16:35:27

I am a term-time only childminder, looking after a flock of teachers' children, so we do exist. I'm not in London though I'm afraid. I would have thought a term time only nanny job could suit someone with school aged children, especially if you are happy for their child/ren to be with yours after school until you get home. I would advertise on netmums local page, gumtree and childcare.co.uk and see who applies.

nannynick Thu 03-Jan-13 16:37:55

I did a term time only nanny job in West Surrey so yes you can find people who will consider such positions. They would get holiday entitlement as well, so it won't just be say 36/38 weeks a year (whatever your term time weeks works out to be). If you are generous with the holiday entitlement (giving more than statutory minimum) then that may help persuade people to take the job, as you will probably have some negative things about the job that some people may not like, such as restricting holiday to be only taken during school holidays.

nannynick Thu 03-Jan-13 16:40:54

Advertise locally as we'll as online, such as at a local newsagents/general store. Consider other local places, such as community websites.

funchum8am Thu 03-Jan-13 16:43:25

Thanks, these are really helpful suggestions. I could be flexible re holidays if my mum comes to stay when nanny was away so that could work (great relationship with DM and she is retired and loves looking after DD so hopefully would be ok.). Thank you all!

Megsdaughter Thu 03-Jan-13 16:58:02

Im a term time only nanny.

I didnt want full time work, so this fits in well for me.

My boss pays me pro rata each months, so I get paid when Im off.

It works well for both of us.

I cant take holiday in the term time was the only real stipulation.

Startail Thu 03-Jan-13 17:16:02

Advertise, there must be nanny a and childminders with their own DCs or who do holiday care for older DCs who are happy to work time only.

If you employ your own nanny on a term time only basis and she wants holiday work lots of nurseries, state and private schools run holiday clubs.
Some must need temporary staff.

ReetPetit Thu 03-Jan-13 18:10:39

i am a cm in london who much prefers term time as i have my own dc. we do exist - try childcare.uk. which part of london are you in? pm me if you want - i know other cms who work term only too
(i don't charge for my holidays - if i am not available - i don't get paid)

funchum8am Thu 03-Jan-13 18:51:22

Thanks for these ideas - Reetpetite I will pm you.

looneytune Thu 03-Jan-13 18:58:47

I'm a childminder but will be stopping to have my baby and one of the things I've been thinking of doing after Maternity Leave is nannying but I'd want TT only (school hours only would be a bigger bonus but doubt I'd be lucky enough to get that!) so I'd say there will be some people out there willing to do it smile

fraktion Fri 04-Jan-13 09:04:05

Try www.nannyjob.co.uk as well.

TT nannies do exist so I'm sure you'll be able to find someone.

funchum8am Fri 04-Jan-13 17:28:24

Thanks fraction, I will try that site too. Thanks everyone who has posted, it is reassuring to hear this may be possible!

ohfunnyhoneyface Fri 04-Jan-13 21:02:12

Wish I'd see this before doing my own post!

So glad to see that TT only exists!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now