Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Help please! Need an afterschool nanny/childminder but no idea where to start!

(9 Posts)
suburbandream Wed 02-Jan-13 15:28:36

Hi all, I have two boys, 9 and 10 and am currently very unwell so I can't pick up my boys from school as I usually would.

I've been a SAHM for the last 10 years so I have no experience of using childcare and just have no clue where to start looking - or even if what I want is available.

I need someone who can pick up my boys from school and bring them home (I'll be home) and basically help me cook tea, do homework etc, from about 3.30pm til 7pm when DH gets in. I've looked on the local government childminder list but there is nothing available and I don't know what to do next. Any ideas greatly appreciated! I'm assuming I'll have to look at nanny agencies but wouldn't know the good from the not so good.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 02-Jan-13 15:44:26

Have you tried putting a profile on childcare.co.uk? Maybe worth a try.

You need more of mothers help I would have thought but i may be wrong. No idea about nanny agencies maybe look on gumtree?

BackforGood Wed 02-Jan-13 15:49:10

Well, if you are there, then you might want a 'mother's help' rather than an experienced Nanny ? Would a student work for you ? Are you in a town with a college? Would be cheaper, and probably appeal to a student, whereas I suspect a Nanny would want full time work.
CMs work in their own homes, so that's not what you are looking for by the sounds of things.

MrsBrrrr Wed 02-Jan-13 15:49:51

If I were you I would put the word out among school gate friends. One of them might want this role, or know someone else who does. Also advertise in local paper, and in PO window etc. Are you in a studenty area? A student would quite like this opportunity to earn some money. Also sixth-formers. As you are going to be present when they are in your house you can probably get away with cheaper unqualified care.

MrsBrrrr Wed 02-Jan-13 15:50:42

X post with Backfor

fraktion Wed 02-Jan-13 16:39:59

Gumtree, nannyjob, the local boards here and netmums are also worth trying. It would probably be very appealing for someone with only a little experience as you would be around. I don't know how long you'd need someone for?

Even if you used a nanny agency you would need to carry out checks on potential nannies - ask to see proof of ID, a CRB check, any certificates and all references. You'll also need context details if references to call them up and verify them. The plus of an agency is they should only send you afterschool candidates.

The other option, more long term, would be an au pair who might be able to help to you a bit around the house, but that means you someone living in and all the additional stress that brings. I only memtion it because it is an option, although not necessarily the best.

Spaceships Wed 02-Jan-13 17:50:28

Where are you located, OP?

suburbandream Wed 02-Jan-13 21:09:53

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of students, the boys' school goes up to A level so maybe a responsible 6th former might be an idea. Yes, it's more of a mother's help than a fully qualified nanny I need, just wasn't really sure if that kind of thing existed. I will try to put word out and have a look on the websites suggested. Once again thanks all.

axure Thu 03-Jan-13 11:22:05

It was a few years ago, so not sure if they would do it now, but when I had just moved to a new area and knew no-one I asked the school if they would print a little 'ad' in their weekly newsletter, a lovely lady replied, she was brilliant and it worked out well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now