Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

People who leave dc meals for nannyto heat up

(20 Posts)
AudrinaAdare Mon 04-Mar-13 23:31:35

Yes I think that might have been what the OP meant too.

TwelveLeggedwalk that makes sense. I would see that as a waste of money.

Sorry for the stupid question!

OliviaAllOverTheSpamMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 04-Mar-13 23:29:12

Hi there
We have moved this to the childcare section - others there may be able to help more with this
Thanks all

Ok, turn this around, those of you who have nanny and toddlers, when do they cook? I don't really want to pay my nanny to put the twins in the playpen and ignore them, I can do that myself!
<hi Ceevee, very jealous of your two's adventurous palates, sounds great to me but don't think DS would touch most of that!)

ceeveebee Mon 04-Mar-13 23:21:25

Oh I didn't mean that as an explanation about why its in "credit crunch" , it was just my opinion! Maybe the OP meant it that way too?

AudrinaAdare Mon 04-Mar-13 23:17:23

"Bit of a waste of money and time imo to ask our nanny to cook specifically for the DCs when I am cooking myself every night anyway"

Oh I see thanks

ceeveebee Mon 04-Mar-13 23:04:06

I just save some of whatever DH and I have for dinner. Bit of a waste of money and time imo to ask our nanny to cook specifically for the DCs when I am cooking myself every night anyway. Our nanny cooks their other meal of the day or if we have been out for dinner/eaten a takeaway, and will batch cook pasta sauces, soups etc or do scambled eggs or omelettes but their main meal is whatever we had.

So if I look at the last week they/we had:

Roast chicken dinner
Chicken, mushrooms in creamy sauce with rice
Sausage casserolle and cous cous
Fish pie
Salmon, fennel, new potatoes and brocolli
Duck leg and lentils
Lasagne

AudrinaAdare Mon 04-Mar-13 22:49:08

I love reading about food but can't for the life of me work out why this thread is in Credit Crunch grin

fakeblondie Sun 03-Mar-13 22:30:02

our lovely nanny cooks everything it never crossed my mind to prepare food !
She's far better in the kitchen than me !

higgle Fri 01-Mar-13 16:11:05

My nanny used to cook for my sons, and make batches of stuff to freeze for other days. I also used to encourage baking and cake making as activities so we could get a pudding or tow out of her efforts!

botandhothered Fri 01-Feb-13 12:08:03

Any trained nanny should be able to make your children's meals. Nutrition and food hygiene are an essential part of the course.
You could make a menu of things you'd like her to make each day.
Is it not one of the perks of having a nanny, that you shouldn't have to worry about these things?

forevergreek Fri 01-Feb-13 11:09:32

I have never heard of a nanny not cooking

Could you maybe buy a few cookbooks or Leave recipes if you want something in particular cooked.

As a nanny I have been trained at leiths cookery school, have food hygiene qualifications and attend yearly nutrition courses. I Definatley take giving my charges healthy balanced food seriously.

If you want to prepare, I often freeze:
Bolgnaise/ lasagne
Fish pie
Chicken teriyaki/ chicken satay
Soups for lunch
Homemade chicken snitzels/ breaded chicken
Fish cakes ( a range of fish and veg combos)
Mild curries

And a range of savoury and sweet muffins ( carrot/ spinach/ cheese/ sweet corn, or blueberry/ pineapple/ apple/ banana) alone or mixed.

It means that either myself or parents can use the pre cooked options on busy day and cook on the remaining

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 30-Jan-13 14:44:02

Fish pie, cottage/shepherds pie, lasagne, mini pizzas, carbonara sauce, bolognese sauce. Any sauce or soups really; beef/chicken casserole ...

I should add that our nanny cooks half of these, and freezes them into individual portions.

Things like sausage and mash, fish fingers and potato waffles etc are then cooked to order, so to speak!

metimeatlast Thu 17-Jan-13 19:05:17

i used to work in a pub, we batched cook most things that was sold as home made, then we split them into plastic take out containers and individually labelled them. these included:
chilli con carne, chicken, beef or veg curries, rice, lasagne, veg lasagne, stews, pasta left plain, plain boiled rice, sauces that included tomato, cheese and white. also did the same with various soups, fresh veg, mashed potato.

when i worked lates and son was at home on own after college i just used to do the same for him, id batch cook for the week on a sunday and defrost each day. id be leaving him a whole meal that he just had to heat up and plate. It was much cheaper that buying ready meals and i knew that he wasnt eating crap.

KnockedUpMell Sun 13-Jan-13 10:55:00

I prefer to cook for ds so I know he's getting a healthy meal and varied tastes. I've done
Chinese- stir fry noodles or rice, rice with chicken in sit sauce, clear chicken soup with rice
Indian- dal with rice, various curried veg (beans, peas, cauliflower, butternut squash etc) with rice or a chicken curry or fish curry with rice
European- Spaghetti Bol, Couscous with roast veg

I think you can pretty mug freeze whether you would normally cook for yourself! I use half or third cup measures to dish out portions and freeze in the freezer bags.

ChristabelChristmas Wed 02-Jan-13 10:17:39

I also make little pizzas with DCs and they can be frozen and cooked easily. Slightly more labour intensive but none of the nasties!

ChristabelChristmas Wed 02-Jan-13 10:16:25

Beef casserole is a good one and then get her to make some mashed potato and green veg to go with it. I find putting sweet potato or squash in the casserole is a great way of making it really tasty for little ones.

mindosa Wed 02-Jan-13 10:10:44

I do/did meals. So it would tend to be the sort of meals listed above frozen.

I sometimes would let the nanny cook but more often than not I would do it

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Wed 02-Jan-13 04:12:50

I wouldn't do it. If I had a nanny I'd want her to cook for them...however, good 're-heat' meals...

Lasagne
Macaroni cheese (with lots of veggies)
Spag Bol
(other pasta)

Stir fry
Fried rice (just make sure it's chilled quickly when you cook it)
Lemon (quorn?) chicken
(other chinese)

Soup with 'dippers' (bread/crutons)

Lentils - dahl/bolognaise

Roast veg all prepared so she just has to put them in the oven

Risotto

Sausage surprise - basically sausage stew smile

Or you could use a slow cooker? Loads of recipes for them!

Bonsoir Wed 02-Jan-13 04:02:36

Tomato sauce
Bolognese sauce

Make large batches and freeze in portions to eat with pasta.

What do you leaven?

Atm, I batch cook shepherds pies, do baked potato and if it's end of week I ask her to do beans on toast etc. any mite interesting ideas our there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now