This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Hi how much do you all charge

(20 Posts)
emmajane500 Sun 06-Jan-13 22:47:13

Thank you that has helped me out loads. Hope you all had a good weekend . Xx

ZuleikaD Fri 04-Jan-13 17:10:51

I charge £5 per hour and parents still accept that sometimes I do mum stuff - it's part of being a CM, you don't have to justify it in any way. If £3.50 is the average then there are probably people charging £4 or more - you should definitely put your prices up!

Bonkerz Fri 04-Jan-13 16:52:34

It works for me. I could charge more but then I would struggle to get work. Average for my area is £3.50. The parents I have are very appreciative and very understandin if I need to take DS is doctors etc (autistic) I charge less because the parents then accept that sometimes I have to do 'mum' stuff and mindees come along! Suits us all!!!!

Runoutofideas Fri 04-Jan-13 08:58:18

Are you not selling yourself a bit short there Bonkerz? I know it depends on the area but even so, that sounds extremely low. I charge £5 per hour incl food but not nappies (Bristol) and I am far less qualified than you. I do currently offer a sibling discount to one family with 3 children, but I don't think I would do the same deal for a new family.

Bonkerz Fri 04-Jan-13 08:49:19

Well I'm in Leicestershire. Am level 4 qualified and have been a nursery manager. I am 5 months away from completing a degree in early years and I charge £3 per hour and £2.50 a day for food (breakfast, cooked lunch an cooked tea). Bargain!!!!!!!

emmajane500 Wed 02-Jan-13 13:44:15

Thank you everyone . Yes meals etc will be included . Some childminders are doing 3.50 a hour what's not even the going hourly rate . Em x

Mindingalongtime Wed 02-Jan-13 13:02:12

Why is a discount expected for siblings, they eat the same food, go to the same outings and activities and cost the same in term of expenses as any other child. A c/m could also fill that place with a full fee pang child.

I have had25 sets of siblings in my time, I do offer flexibility in many ways depending on how long the client has been with me and the second child always starts on the same fee rate as the older one, even though that rate may be 5 years old and the fees never go up in their time with me, some over 11 years!

I lost 2 sets of siblings this year - Ouch! But filled the places very quickly.

ZuleikaD Wed 02-Jan-13 11:07:12

Most CMs don't offer a sibling discount - in fact most will put a longer notice period in the contract to cover the situation where two children or more leave at the same time.

Food inc nappies not.

I'm very close to you, couple stops up train line.
Mine charges £4 an hour non school age child including covering any time in nursery setting
£4.50 for school age during term time and £4 in holidays.
All part hours are fully paid.

I pay every week of every year except her holidays.
No sibling discount much to my disgust!

She is about normal price here.

BertieBotts Wed 02-Jan-13 10:46:20

Mine charges £4 per hour which includes food, nappies and activities. Not sure about milk because DS was 2 when he started.

ReetPetit Wed 02-Jan-13 10:44:34

i am in north london,average here is £50 a day.
i would estimate your area would be £40 a day approx (food included) possibly a bit more if you are very accessible to a station into central london.

HSMM Wed 02-Jan-13 09:40:56

Yes Italiana - The fact that I am qualified, work with my DH, have a dedicated play room, provide the 15 hrs Government funded places, have a setting near a major motorway junction, offer all inclusive rates, have 13+ yrs experience, etc are all reflected in my daily rate.

Italiana Wed 02-Jan-13 08:15:58

Does anyone take account of their qualifications, experience and the type of setting they offer (one room only or various in the house for c/minding and even a playroom) when setting their fees?

ZuleikaD Wed 02-Jan-13 07:37:21

If you call your council they will tell you how many childminders there are in your area. That will have a huge impact on how much you can charge. There are only about four where I am so I charge £50 per day (prices going up this autumn) including food, but there are CMs about three miles away who can only charge about £38 per day because there are lots in the area.

TBH I'm a bit surprised you qualified without working out how much money you were going to make!

Mindingalongtime Wed 02-Jan-13 05:53:58

Where I live potential childminders have to do a sustainability study on where their new business is cominig from, what the local rate variance is, what demand is there for places etc so are aware oh how to manage and run their new business. Advertising and finding families etc, which I think us really realistic and can be a surprise for some new childminders!

Mindingalongtime Wed 02-Jan-13 05:48:32

It also depends on number of days and hours. Some c/ms charge by the hour, day and week, minimum charge, all inclusive of meals etc or plus meals and activities.
i offer a very personal service tailored to suit each family's needs, so no 2 families pay the same.

emmajane500 Tue 01-Jan-13 23:11:07

I'm in Crayford Kent . I've just become registered so this is all new to me . Xx

HSMM Tue 01-Jan-13 23:10:09

It will be different all over the country. Where are you?

emmajane500 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:52:02

Per day per child . . Emma . X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now