This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

If a nanny is advertising her net rate, how do I work out what I pay her?

(7 Posts)
Murtette Tue 01-Jan-13 22:55:18

Sorry, Outraged, I missed the link the first time. I have now spent a lot of the evening playing on the calculator working out different salary options. Its brilliant!

nannynick Tue 01-Jan-13 19:28:20

You are the employer and decide what you will offer with regard to salary. Have you done some calculations yet with regard to what you feel you would be offering as a starting point?

How many days, how many hours per day/per week?
Nannies need to earn a certain amount to pay their bills, so if the salary is not high enough they will not be interested in the job, where as other nannies may have lower bill costs and thus accept a lower salary.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 01-Jan-13 17:47:59

Use the calculator I linked to and you'll be able to work it out.

MissNJE Tue 01-Jan-13 17:24:19

What kind of gross salary can you afford for how many hours a week? Maybe you could let us know a little bit more about the position offered.

Murtette Tue 01-Jan-13 17:03:16

Yes, I've gathered from previous threads on here that gross is the way to go. I think I'm trying to work out what sort of nanny we'd be able to attract with our gross salary, so whether we'd be limited to very inexperienced people or (hopefully) someone with some experience.

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 01-Jan-13 16:55:37

Work out what you want to/can afford to pay gross and offer that.

You can use this to help work out what gross you would pay on a net salary, but it does depend on the nanny's tax code/whether she has another job etc.

Always, always, alway put gross in the contract.

Murtette Tue 01-Jan-13 16:37:13

We will probably be starting to look for a nanny soon. I've been having a look on childcare.co.uk and all of the nannies who mention the salary they'll be looking for refer to their net hourly rate. How do I use that to work out how much I'd pay her in total? There's obviously tax and NI ... is there anything else? We'd only be looking for a part time nanny if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now