Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

overnight care

(8 Posts)
Mitzimay Mon 31-Dec-12 11:45:42

Hi, i would like to set up an overnight childcare facility from my home as i feel there is a need for this. How do i go about it? Do i contact Social Services first? If not who?

Does anyone have any advice for me please?

Thankyou.

Google is your friend.

calmlychaotic Mon 31-Dec-12 11:56:02

as far as I know you need to register as a childminder and get overnight care included on your registration. I am registered and have been for a year and although I get my daytime places filled no problem I have had very little interest in overnight. I would get definite interest before you bother going through hassle of registering.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 31-Dec-12 12:05:40

I'm a cm registered for overnight and have only ever done 1 night in 3 years for a day time child when mums childcare for a night out fell through. I've advertised at care homes etc where there are night shifts.

If you live near a hospital or somewhere you may get some interest, none of the others in my area are registered for it.

nannynick Mon 31-Dec-12 12:18:58

What country are you in Mitzimay? Childcare legislation varies by country, so England is different to Scotland. So your first step is to determine who the childcare regulator is in your country and what it is exactly that they regulate.

In England, Ofsted regulate childcare between 2am and 6pm. So Ofsted would regulate Overnight Care as part of the time that care is being provided would be in the regulated time period.

You say you feel there is a need for the facility - how have you established that? Have you established what users of such a facility would pay, what times they would want to use the facility, if they would want to pay an hourly rate or a rate for a session (such as 8pm-8am). You are considering starting a business, so do as much research as you can as possible to establish if it is a reasonable business proposition. Someone (you most likely) will be investing in this business, so you will be wanting a return on your investment plus a salary, plus all expenses (including taxes) paid.

HSMM Mon 31-Dec-12 12:51:20

I am a CM and I offer overnight care. I have done about 6 overnights this year. There may be a market for shift workers, but not here. I just do it when parents have a late night/office party, etc.

hello you would need to be registered as a childminder and registered for overnight care not sure if you can just registered for overnight care only.

or you can work as a nanny in peoples homes offering overnight care so children remain in their own homes and you dont need to be registered to do this but qualifications/experience and insurance would be useful.

Is there a need in your area?

As my name suggest I am a maternity night nanny covering all of the East Midlands and Warwickshire and am in Leicestershire and have to cover a wide area to get enough work although most is Leicestershire, Rutland and Warwickshire based - meaning I often travel 30-45mins for work. This is caring for newborn babies during the night to give parents a nights sleep and support with routines.

I do also do overnights and 24hr care for people wanting a night away/work reasons - but this is not a frequent and just overnight is quite uncommon in my area.

Our old childminder was registered for overnight care and she only had one of her mindees very very occasionally overnight often had her til 11pm as mum was a midwife and worked shifts.

Hope that helps

Italiana Mon 31-Dec-12 21:36:24

Overnight care is part of the changes implemented in EYFS 2012
C/ms can decide for themselves as long as they let Ofsted know...
I am reading from the standard letter received today from Ofsted (p 2)about 'intentions to remove conditions of registration' and requirements you need to meet to provide overnight care
If unsure and need more details best ring Oftsed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now