This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Doing tax return, some advice please (thanks)

(34 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Sun 30-Dec-12 21:49:33

I am claiming for the following:-

W&T
Water rate
Concil tax
Gas
Electric
General expence for c m stuff

(no car expenses as I have been walking)

Never claimed for telephone or mobile expences since I started over four years ago.

Please explain how i can claim contents Insurance and mortgage Interest?

What else can I claim for. Still getting my head around what I can claim for.

Thank you for your help at this busy time smile

MrAnchovy Wed 02-Jan-13 23:25:36

The fireworks were outside.

But if one set fire to your neighbour's roof and their home insurer found out it was a business event they may chase you for the cost - and I bet your business insurance doesn't cover fireworks parties.

HSMM Wed 02-Jan-13 23:31:08

Fair point. Hid the families inside ... so defo not a business event wink

MrAnchovy Wed 02-Jan-13 23:47:39

Sorry dobby2001, have I said anything that has offended you?

Italiana Thu 03-Jan-13 12:34:25

Mr Anchovy: your new service has been advertised elsewhere in another c/ms forum, or at least you have given us the link to, and it is something that many c/ms know is in the process of being launched, according to the govt forthcoming proposals, not just by you but many other bodies who see what this govt is driving at...I won't say the word but I doubt I am wrong???

As an accountant you are also fulfilling E Truss' wish that c/ms find someone to deal with their business side of things as many have declared themselves unable or unwilling to deal with the running of their business (something she reinforced on 4 Dec at the conference I attended)

As a c/m I continue to encourage colleagues to be as independent as possible in running their business, maybe looking at having an accountant that advises, does the end of year tax return and points to the many expenses that we can legally claim...had I not done that so much would have gone unclaimed

MrAnchovy Thu 03-Jan-13 14:03:07

Italiana I think there are actually four different things:

1. An accounts and tax service supporting individual childminders

2. A business administration support service supporting individual childminders on a "pick and mix" basis - contracts, billing parents, collecting money, food hygeine and other non-childcare regulations, policies and procedures

3. Administration related to EYFS (in England and Wales) and other child care standards supporting individual childminders

4. Delivering childminding through an agency

On this thread I have only been talking about 1.

I have spoken to you and on other (closed) forums about my plans for 2 as well but that is not what I am talking about here. This is what Liz Truss is talking about though.

There are already a number of providers of solutions to 3 in various formats (paper, PC based, online).

4 is crystal ball gazing and until we know if/when/what it will look like I have no plans.

It seems to me that Liz Truss was appointed on the back of an implied promise that there was an achieveable solution to the issue of affordable childcare and that she would sort it all out. It is now clear to everyone, including her, that there isn't and she can't. I don't think anyone can predict where we go from here, least of all Ms Truss.

MUM2BLESS Thu 03-Jan-13 20:29:52

Thank you everyone.

I know I am not claiming all I need to claim for.

Have you got a website with what you will be doing for childminders. I hope I do not get you into trouble. Just wondering.....

Italiana Sat 05-Jan-13 10:55:37

Not long to wait now Mr Anchovy as E Truss is now ready to respond to the Childcare Commission

Mum2bless The wait is coming to an end. After Truss's response we will all discover how many agencies/social enterprises or whatever have been set up and awaiting the green light to go

MUM2BLESS Sat 05-Jan-13 12:06:57

Thanks for that

MUM2BLESS Tue 22-Jan-13 20:58:12

Started the online tax return process. Business Tax Dashboard

Would you like to enrol for the Business Tax Dashboard? its asking, do I need to select yes? (sorry if its a silly question, just double checking)

I am a childminder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now