Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How much should I tip my full time nanny for Xmas?

(17 Posts)
Arisbottle Sun 23-Dec-12 00:23:19

We have a home help, we always pay her for the holidays in full, as I a teacher that is 13 weeks paid a year. So she gets her two weeks pay in advance and we have paid for her to go away to Paris for a weekend over new year.

nannyof3 Sun 23-Dec-12 00:18:44

Wow.. The family i work for on my birthday didnt get anything and for christmas a cheap box of chocolates. There not poor either

lollystix Fri 21-Dec-12 20:34:05

I'm in Marketingwink

MrAnchovy Fri 21-Dec-12 10:51:08

MrAnchovy - are you in Compliance?

Near enough grin

lollystix Fri 21-Dec-12 05:53:16

Much embarrassment - she bought DH and I a bottle, some truffles she made and really posh cinema tickets! blush. I honestly didn't expect that. She said the voucher I bought her for her birthday was her favourite store (relief) and smiled when she opened the money card.

lollystix Fri 21-Dec-12 04:29:48

MrAnchovy - are you in Compliance?grin. I'm British in NZ.

MrAnchovy Fri 21-Dec-12 02:15:13

Not sure what the cultural setting is, but in a UK employer-employee relationship it is not appropriate to call this a "tip": a tip is a sum of money paid to a someone who is not your employee.

It is appropriate to call a sum paid to your own nanny a "bonus".

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Fri 21-Dec-12 01:49:25

she holds our family together

Tell her - anything else is really the icing on the cake smile

Does she live-in?

wickedwitchofwaterloo Fri 21-Dec-12 01:35:41

Awwwww Blondes!! That made my bottom lip wobble a bit, damn you! blush

What a pair of hardworking little cuties those DT are grin

But yes, I agree. That last sentence will mean more than anything. I recently left a three year position and the Father sent me an email as he hadn't realised that the last time he saw me was the last time he would see me (parents are separated) and one of the lines that reduced me to a sobbing mess was - "you were a great find and A loved you very much" wobble

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 20-Dec-12 22:45:54

You sound lovely lolly sticks

And def write that last sentence in her card

That will result in her bottom lip wobbling as mine did when my lovely Mb of prem twins gave me a pressie yesterday saying that her boys saved their pocket money at 20 weeks old smile to get aunty blondes a pressie

I really didn't expect one as was only there 8 weeks on a temp position to get babies into a routine

That sounds like a great gift, but also, if you haven't said it already to her, let her know what you said in your last sentence as there is something so special about being told how much you mean to someone.

lollystix Thu 20-Dec-12 21:42:27

We've done the homemade cards for her birthday which is in 2 days. But just getting gift card for birthdays honestly don't know what she likes (she doesn't give much away). I just wanted to make sure she feels appreciated cos we've emigrated ( not in UK) and 2 full time jobs, 4 small kids and no family within 12,000 miles she holds our family together smile

ReetPetit Thu 20-Dec-12 21:11:51

wow, i think i'm in the wrong job! wink
i would be happy with any kind of cash bonus, i wouldn't be insulted at all, i think she should think herself lucky!
i'm a childminder working approx 40 hours a week and would never get anything like that from anyone - i'm lucky if i get a card - i think i might got back to nannying once both my ds are at full time school wink

I have just sat with our nanny while she opened the (thoughtful, IMO)presents we bought her, she seemed delighted. I would find it strange just giving her a cash tip (or at least all cash, no present) and I think she would be a bit upset too - she is part of our family. I guess it depends on your nanny/your relationship though - £250 is fine as a bonus/present value.

MarshmallowCupcake Thu 20-Dec-12 19:58:24

Posted too early! It's not about how much we get or what we get, it's the thought that's put into a gift and the meaning that comes with it. Ie, you're a fab nanny and we love you, that's what means a lot and a home made card from your kids is priceless too.

MarshmallowCupcake Thu 20-Dec-12 19:56:52

She will be over the moon with that, I certainly would!

lollystix Thu 20-Dec-12 19:25:22

She works 50 hours on good nanny rate. We love her and want to tip her but not awash with cash in an way. She gets about £500 a week before her tax and I can manage £250 as I have to get her birthday present which is £100 voucher. Is that enough?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now