This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Employing my brother for childcare & finding him some training?

(6 Posts)
StickEmWithThePointyEnd Fri 21-Dec-12 06:55:07

Thanks for the replies, it's been very helpful, I'll look into the suggestions. smile

wednesdaygirl Thu 20-Dec-12 12:05:00

Well once your child is 3 you will get 15 hrs free childcare anyway

Idontknowhowtohelpher Thu 20-Dec-12 08:28:39
fraktion Thu 20-Dec-12 07:16:54

An official apprenticeship wouldn't reat be possible but he could do the Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce. It would take longer than 6 months, though, and for someways you would need to arrange a placement in a nursery/similar setting.

For 13 hours a week you may not need to pay tax and NÍ. It depends whether you exceed the threshold of £107 in any week. You could pay £8.20 per hour without having to make deductions.

jennimoo Wed 19-Dec-12 21:36:18

I'm not sure about some parts of your idea but if he is employed by you he should have no probs getting an apprenticeship for free and would get his English and maths in that if he doesn't have them already. Search for training companies locally who offer child care apprenticeships, but should be fully funded at that age I should think, it would be at my work!

StickEmWithThePointyEnd Wed 19-Dec-12 18:28:19

Dh may have secured a tempory job in the new year for a six month contract. If he gets the job then we will need childcare for a maximum of 13 hours per week.

My brother is on JSA. He is almost 19, didn't do too well at school and has no idea where his life is heading, but he is good with ds (2.4) and dotes on him.

Could I employ db to mind ds for us? If so does anyone know;

a) how do I do it properly (tax, N.I. etc)
b) could db take some sort of childcare qualification/training so that when the time comes that we don't need him for childcare, he has a chance of moving on and forward with his life and has some sort of direction to head in? I'm thinking some sort of apprenticeship may be suitable but could we arrange it ourselves?

As I said, this is all hypothetical at the moment as a million and one things could change but if we do need to pay for childcare I think it would be nice to be able to help db out too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now