This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can I charge more as a Chinese nanny?

(7 Posts)
nannykatherine Sun 23-Dec-12 18:39:07

Yes become a tutor in mandarin .... I am a fully qualified (NNEB) (maternity practitioner ) experienced Ofsted registered , insured , Nanny ... When you are all of these things go ahead and charge more .

Strix Wed 19-Dec-12 22:39:22

I think you would make more money n=by offering mandarin classes outside of the nannying role... perhaps one day a week, offer a mandarin after school club to say 4 or five kids from the same school.

Twinklylightsandbells Wed 19-Dec-12 16:52:12

As a nanny you are an employee - therefore applying for a job advertised and agreeing a salary with your employer (rather than charging as if it was a service?)

MiTran Wed 19-Dec-12 14:15:16

Hi Chinesenanny

I am also a Bilingual Nanny, can speak Chinese as well as English,
I have noticed that there is a high demand of Mandarin speaking Nannies wanted, I believe that if I was in your shoes I would evaluate the situation, as well as a Nanny your skills in language are being used as well, I have over 10 years experience in childcare, and I enjoy what I do, it is my forte, but when my language is being used to teach others I would charge more, because that is leaning more over to a 'tutor' role, so realistically, if your rate as a nanny is between 8-12, teaching Chinese I would charge more, so for instance £10-£20 an hour.

Mi Tran

minderjinx Wed 19-Dec-12 13:26:43

Hmm - tempting, but I won't - it is nearly Christmas...

Mosman Wed 19-Dec-12 11:36:22

If the families want you're skills then they have to pay what you and they think you are worth. I paid my English nanny £10 an hour and her command of English was questionable at times.

Chinesenanny Wed 19-Dec-12 11:13:22

Hi, I'm doing part-time nanny since my kid has grown up. But I find p/t live out nanny doesn't earn a lot after menus transportation fee and time.
I'm Chinese, people pick me usually because they want their kids practice Chinese. Can I charge more due to this reason? Now I'm getting 8-12. Is it aggressive to charge more than that?

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now