This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies! (and parents) Advice on working this Sunday!

(16 Posts)
Karoleann Wed 19-Dec-12 20:04:51

Yes, I'd say £100. I've asked DC3's nursery nurse to look after (just) her on sunday whilst we take boys to the pantomime and I've offered her £50 for 5 hours and she only lives 10 mins away. Plus she's only 18 and has never nannied before.
Could you ask for £65 +travelling costs?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 19-Dec-12 15:38:01

simply say that you were thinking of £100 (or whatever figure) then break it down and say that £15ph childcare per hr plus 3 hrs travelling or £20ph plus 2 hrs normal wages for travel costs etc

wickedwitchofwaterloo Wed 19-Dec-12 15:36:26

It does - it's a shame as I have worked for this woman before and she has always been a really nice and also generous employer (rounds up hours, suggested she paid full fee when it I did an emergency cover of her child when I was also looking after my charge at the time etc) so while I want to help out AND make it worth my while, I am conscious of not souring the relationship iyswim?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 19-Dec-12 15:17:55

thing is its not just about the childcare, its also your time to get there and back-which is almost the same amount of hours she wants you to work

it has to be worth your while

HoFlippinHo Wed 19-Dec-12 12:15:03

£50? No way! She's effectively paying you your usual rate for a) up to 6 times as many children b) on a Sunday c) just before Christmas.

I agree with the others - £100 minimum.

However, I suspect that as her offer is so wide of the mark she'll be narked/shocked when you say £100.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 19-Dec-12 12:10:01

Say no. Give her your amount an see what happens

I'd go shopping instead....

wickedwitchofwaterloo Wed 19-Dec-12 10:38:04

Waves at Blondes grin

Well. This morning, Mums opening offer was... £50.

Not sure how to go about replying!

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 19-Dec-12 03:07:56

Waves to www smile

Years of doing wedding crèches has taught me to always check where toilets are / for you and them smile

As in house then Def easier then a hotel for example and no worries about strangers coming into room

Def double check the numbers of children and if for young children to make sure have nappy/wipes at hand

Also maybe ask mum of house to provide a tray of water/juice and healthy snacks or biscuits so you don't need to go out of the room more then you need to

wickedwitchofwaterloo Wed 19-Dec-12 00:29:37

Hey Blondes. Playroom in a house, it's a maximum of 6 children, definitely 4. Just me.
The idea is the various parents are having drinks downstairs for 4 hours and I am just meant to be supervising the playroom.
That's a good point about toilets and insurance though, didn't even think of that blush

However, I do know that main parents child and friend are able to use toilet alone and it is right next to playroom.. But there is always the "what if"... The other two are in nappies so could make sure there is a changing station that doesn't need me to leave room.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 18-Dec-12 23:48:35

Are you in a playroom in a house? Or in a hotel etc?
And other adults about?

6 children is a lot and obv depends on their ages but ideally I would want a friend with me incase one needs to go to the toilet and needs help etc

You can't leave the other 5 unsupervised

Of alone I would say £20ph or £10 each of with a friend

Travelling time I would ask for as well so another £20/25 on top

Minimum of £100

Also check if alone no more then 6 children or your insurance would be invalid - also would you be covered as likely to be more then 2 families and sure nick has said before that if 3 families then like a share and not nannying so may not be covered

Or is that just in usual day to day jobs

Just a few thoughts x

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Tue 18-Dec-12 23:15:51

Depends a bit on how many sets of parents, the location, what you'd need to take etc - ages of the kids. Absolute, absolute, minimum of £120

wickedwitchofwaterloo Tue 18-Dec-12 23:03:12

A few people have been saying around the £100 mark, that's useful. Thanks smile

cathpip Tue 18-Dec-12 19:23:35

Assuming that its for a couple of parents i would charge £20 an hour plus the travelling time and then as its xmas just round it up to £150 and thats speaking as a nanny and a parent (its what i would expect to pay)

Mogandme Tue 18-Dec-12 19:16:29

£100?

wickedwitchofwaterloo Tue 18-Dec-12 18:51:13

Hi everyone.
I've been asked to "supervise" a playroom of max. 6 children from 4-8pm this Sunday (23rd) and I've asked about pay as it's an hour and 15mins travel each way, the last weekend shopping day before Xmas so travelling via Central London will be manic and it's a few children. I'd normally get £10ph (one child) and she has told me to name my price -
What do think would be fair for both sides?
TIA smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now