Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Tax Return Question

(6 Posts)
MaryPoppinsBag Tue 18-Dec-12 13:37:58

Thanks MrA!

So relieved, I up to date in my spreadsheet, but I tried logging onto the Government Gateway and found it to be a pain!

I'll save it until April / may then.

And give them a ring about NI contributions.

MrAnchovy Tue 18-Dec-12 13:12:57

Do I need to complete 2012-2013 tax return by 31st Jan next year (2014)?

Yes.

or do I need to do one from June-Jan and submit it by 31st Jan 2013?

No.

grin

They should write to you soon with your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number and (separately) asking for payment of Class 2 NI if you haven't set up a Direct Debit already.

If you haven't had both of these call the
Newly Self Employed Help Line, they are easier to get through to and much more helpful than the general enquiries number.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 18-Dec-12 12:08:30

Thank you.
Yes I have registered.
I will look through the stuff they have sent again. although I think it's only the access code for the Government Gateway.

ZuleikaD Tue 18-Dec-12 11:54:55

Also, the deadline is always the January following the completed tax year. The current tax year doesn't end till April 2013, so your income for the year 2012-2013 will go on your tax return AFTER the end of the tax year. So you will be able to file your return somewhere between next summer and end Jan 2014.

ZuleikaD Tue 18-Dec-12 11:53:03

Have you registered as self-employed with HMRC? They will tell you when your tax return is due.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 18-Dec-12 11:38:10

My first Children started in June 2012.

Do I need to complete 2012-2013 tax return by 31st Jan next year (2014)?
or do I need to do one from June-Jan and submit it by 31st Jan 2013?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now