This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Afterschool childminding

(16 Posts)

When my dd was a preschool, I paid for the full day as you do. Now she s at school FT, I pay only for the hours she is there during term time but for full days in the school holidays.

Goldchilled7up Thu 20-Dec-12 21:53:29

I will do anothercuppa. Thank you

anothercuppaplease Thu 20-Dec-12 21:30:50

I charge by the hour. Term time only. It depends on the CM but you should have an open discussion early on to figure out what her terms are.

Goldchilled7up Tue 18-Dec-12 20:30:22

Thank you leeloo and looneytune, as I'm currently studying it will be term time only, but it will change in the future. All the posts have been very helpful.

looneytune Tue 18-Dec-12 13:21:15

I charge all until they are at school FULL TIME.

Once at school, they pay for either before or after school care or both, if required.

I do offer term time only contracts and school holiday contracts but some wouldn't be able to fill spaces with just school holiday care and therefore may charge full days during school holidays so think about whether or not you need all year round care or term time only.

leeloo1 Mon 17-Dec-12 23:02:33

Its worth considering what you want to happen in the holidays/on inset days - will the CM have your DS or will you? - as this may affect how much you pay - e.g. you'll probably be asked to pay before/after school fees during termtime and full time fees in the hols, but some CMs pro-rata it so you'd pay the same each month (so they wouldn't lose out if you left just before a holiday).

Every CM is different though, so probably best to have a chat about it. smile

Goldchilled7up Mon 17-Dec-12 23:01:30

HSMM thank you it looks like it must be the norm then

Goldchilled7up Mon 17-Dec-12 23:00:10

Thank you letchatnoir, your post is very helpful.

HSMM Mon 17-Dec-12 22:07:54

Same here. Full days charged until in reception class full time, then it changes.

lechatnoir Mon 17-Dec-12 22:00:39

Eta I also charge full fee during nursery hours.

lechatnoir Mon 17-Dec-12 21:59:35

Regardless of how old your child is, once he is at school FULL TIME (this is relevant as half days for xx weeks/months that some school do are not counted as FT) then he is classed as over 5 for Ofsted ratio purposes meaning your childminder can take on more children so no longer needs to charge during school hours (never heard of a cm who charges ft schoolie during school hours)
You are likely to need a new contract & she may charge different hourly rate or even a set fee from pick-up to 6pm.
HTH

Goldchilled7up Mon 17-Dec-12 21:49:41

Thank you missmapp, it sounds like you have a good arrangement.

missmapp Mon 17-Dec-12 21:42:20

My dc's go to a cm before and after school. I play a daily rate ( i only have a term time contract) which is less than when they were there all day. i do not pay for the time they are in school . However, when ds2 was a nursery and the cm would collect him, i didnt pay for the time he was in nursery , only the time he was with her .

Goldchilled7up Mon 17-Dec-12 21:41:10

Oh no, what's going on with my post, doing it from my phone. I obviously mean 3 days a week, not 33grin

Goldchilled7up Mon 17-Dec-12 21:39:52

I mean my son

Goldchilled7up Mon 17-Dec-12 21:39:14

My goes to a childminder 33 days a week, he is also in a school nursery everyday, so on those 3 days she picks him up at 12 and has him until 6pm. Although he's not with her all day, I still pay for a full day to keep his place.

From September he is due to start reception and will be finishing at 3.30pm. Can someone please explain how does payment work for after school care? Do I still have to pay for a full day?

I will be asking her, but first I wanted to know what is typical. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now