This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advertising for a position, or looking for childcare?

(50 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

IceTheChristmasKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Dec-12 10:49:53

Hi everyone,

We're just starting this thread to let you know about the best way to use Mumsnet, if you're a childminder, au pair or nanny, or are looking for one of these.

As mentioned up there ^ in our talk header, this board is for discussion about childcare issues, not a place to advertise.

Our lovely new shiny Mumsnet Local site has a listing section devoted to childcare, so if your looking to advertise your services, you can add yourself here for free!

Here's how do that:

FIND YOUR MUMSNET LOCAL SITE

Go to local.mumsnet.com, and log in. You will see a large map of the UK. You can choose your local area by clicking on the name. This will bring up a list of place names on the right hand side. Choose the appropriate place from this list. This will bring you to the Local homepage for that area.

ADD YOUR LISTING
Once you've got to the right Mumsnet Local site, click on the large pink button on the top right of the page that says 'Add a listing' and enter the relevant details under the right section. Be warned that there is a word limit, so please keep your info nice and succinct.

If you're looking for childcare, you can browse these listings, and contact people through the local site.

By using your Mumsnet local site, you can connect directly with people in your area, and probably get a better response, rather than spamming the talk boards (where your post will probably get reported and deleted!)

Thanks for reading, and good luck!

IceTheChristmasKateMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Dec-12 10:55:29

ALSO!

If you do see any posts on here, from either people advertising a position, or advertising their services, please do report them to us, using the spam button. This way we can keep the boards nice and tidy <anal> so you guys have the best possible forum for chatting.

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 17-Dec-12 13:15:08

i tried to click onto my local site, and seems it isnt working yet sad

i keep getting the message 'this feature is coming soon'

fraktion Mon 17-Dec-12 22:23:22

I have no local sad

MegMez Thu 27-Dec-12 16:25:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MrAnchovy Fri 28-Dec-12 17:19:08

Contact or use the search facility provide by your Local Authority - this is the only place that will give contact details for all childminders in an area.

Pucha Sun 20-Jan-13 23:26:46

The local listings don't work. It goes blank after clicking add a listing. Can you tell us when this will be sorted, please? thanks.

poopnscoop Mon 21-Jan-13 09:19:46

I tried this - am opening a nursery in SW18/SW19 - and it didn't work. Till its rectified perhaps you could allow one thread specifically for people offering/requiring care... So networking can take place?

Carly1987 Sun 17-Feb-13 00:49:17

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

cobham Fri 22-Feb-13 15:04:19

eastbournesandra Wed 13-Mar-13 12:09:36

Hello. A year ago, or so, there was a long and positive thread about Abacus Au Pair agency (Brighton) which I have used successfully in the past. We are being left by our au pair in a few days (!!) and I cannot for the life of me find a working phone number for Debbie.. Does anyone else know if she is still in business or if Abacus has merged with another agency or any info which could help me contact her/ them? Please - I would be very grateful!

Stickhasgrownup Sat 16-Mar-13 08:13:27

Hi,
I still can't advertise on my mumsnet local page... just freezes with error on the page message. I don't know if this is the case for everyone or just my one (greenwich).
Please can someone have a look at it and let me know...
Thanks

minderjinx Sun 17-Mar-13 18:07:03

I did advertise on my local page (Berkshire). It wasn't easy - I had the same sort of problems as Stick - and I have had no responses, which is not really surprising as there appears to be a lot of technical glitches and performace issues with the local site generally, not just with posting ads - screens take an age to refresh, freeze, links don't work etc and there is hardly any talk or notices on the local boards. If Mumsnet local is going to get popular this sort of thing really needs sorting out.

Stickhasgrownup Wed 20-Mar-13 13:17:05

afussyphase Tue 26-Mar-13 11:07:39

Please fix MN local!

cheesecakemom Mon 08-Apr-13 20:15:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

cheesecakemom Mon 08-Apr-13 20:17:11

Ooops - sorry. I didn't realise.

gmami1 Wed 24-Apr-13 11:00:41

Hello smile

I am moving to Truro-Cornwall July1st 2013, we are moving from Switzerland, and allthough my son does understand most english, he answers in swiss german wink. I am looking for a child minder but she/he would need to understand some german i suppose. HELP, is there a local website for Truro childminders ?

Thank you grin

yorkshirebound Wed 26-Jun-13 22:12:18

I really think this is a mistake, there is little or no traffic on the local site. When there was a dedicated thread on here it worked much better. Also totally unobvious how to post a job if you are a potential employer. I am off to gumtree which is better suited, please reconsider as this is just not working.

minipie Sat 29-Jun-13 10:15:08

I agree with yorkshire - I would love to find a nanny through MN but doubt the local site will help as is so little traffic there. also, nannies don't only look for work in their own borough! please please could we have a nanny jobs topic?

kimberleyjanehiggins Fri 05-Jul-13 18:16:50

i tried to register on mumsnet local but it did not like my email address, funny i was able to register on this one with it.
anyone know any good sites i can register with to advertise, that will not charge too much too make contact with parents, i am registered with childcare.co.uk for free, but at moment cant a ford their year for gold membership to get contact details on parents

thenightnannyservice Thu 11-Jul-13 16:56:18

Tanyanorwood Mon 29-Jul-13 15:30:04

Xiaoxiong Fri 23-Aug-13 17:41:34

yorkshire and minipie are right - I'd like to advertise for a cover nanny, and a mother's help which is not childcare and would be suitable for anyone who might want some extra cash to help me, but I have no confidence anyone will see my post. Also there are multiple local sites that could include my area (Berkshire, Slough, Maidenhead etc)

A nanny jobs topic, or even just a thread in the main nanny topic, would be really helpful. I'd be willing to pay as well.

afussyphase Tue 03-Sep-13 14:39:53

I'm a parent always with some childcare need or other, it seems! And I agree with kimberly above. MN should step in and fill the void created by sites like childcare.co.uk that charge large amounts just for sharing contact information. Please MN? Please? After all, I don't need to search all the childcare in the UK, just that in my neighbourhood! So those sites have kind of got the wrong idea IMHO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now