Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nannies how would you feel/take this??

(15 Posts)
nannykatherine Sun 23-Dec-12 18:41:35

No doubt you have looked after more children than she has and more recently . Mention to your boss . Don't listen to the granny .

Strix Mon 17-Dec-12 21:56:21

I wouldn't give the grandma the time of day really. You don't work for her and she has no right to give you instructions. Just defer to the greater authority: your boss and the children's mum.

(And check your caller id smile)

cinnamondanish Mon 17-Dec-12 20:12:53

What a bloody hassle. As you've said you are a nanny and part of the job is to multi task why would Grandma think that you would have been hired if you couldn't do the job. It's easier looking after two children when they're both sick as you can chill at home. It's harder when one is sick and the other is full of energy and going stir crazy having to stay in.
I think you need to put your foot down with Grandma before things get worse. I have friends who've had to put Grandmas in their place as they keep coming round and taking over. Your boss should back you up because if it's her mother in law I'm sure she's had issues with her too in the grand old style of trying to get along with your partners mother.

Strix Mon 17-Dec-12 16:43:12

So who gave the crazy old bat your number????? wink

DillyDallyDayDream Sun 16-Dec-12 22:52:49

I did tell the grandma that when mum walks out the door to work she's handing care over to me so what I say goes. Also said to her that if I can't cope with 2 I'll children then I'm in. The wrong job

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 16-Dec-12 22:34:49

ditto callaird plus im assuming mb trusts you to look after her children

callaird Sun 16-Dec-12 21:29:18

It was too cold for her to go out but it was ok to drag two poorly children out in the cold?!

I'd have told her that I was unhappy to do that. That she was welcome to come over and help out but that the children were having a lazy day of snoozing and watching dvd's so not hard work.

I would have call/text MB the exact same thing.

Luckily neither of my bosses mothers live that close!!

rubyslippers Sun 16-Dec-12 21:19:06

good

hope things work out

if your boss trusts you that's what counts

DillyDallyDayDream Sun 16-Dec-12 21:17:11

I mentioned it to boss on the day it happened. She said she'd have a word with her mum

rubyslippers Sun 16-Dec-12 21:14:49

you don't need a relationship with the grandma

just your boss

i would mention it your boss tomorrow

DillyDallyDayDream Sun 16-Dec-12 21:11:56

Meant to say relationship

DillyDallyDayDream Sun 16-Dec-12 21:11:38

Grandma didn't want to leave her house as it was cold .

Personally I can't stand the woman she just winds me up but try to have a good rekatiobship

rubyslippers Sun 16-Dec-12 21:09:37

how odd

what did your boss say?

both mine were poorly this week - my MIL was around so i let my nanny know if she needed help or an extra pair of hands she was around

she was in charge

nannynick Sun 16-Dec-12 21:06:44

Depends on my relationship with Grandma I suppose. She could have come over if she wanted to help out.

Grandma perhaps does not trust you to be able to care for her grandchildren?

DillyDallyDayDream Sun 16-Dec-12 20:37:44

On Friday both my charges were ill. Mboss said just stay in watch DVDs etc etc.

Mboss' mum rang at 8:45 and TOLD me I had to take both poorly children to get her house as I couldn't cope with 2 poorly children.

How would you feel about that being said to you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now