This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs: are you expected to work Xmas eve...

(15 Posts)
ZuleikaD Thu 20-Dec-12 13:59:30

Woot! Just discovered I am not working CE and NYE as the family forgot to tell me they were going on holiday for ten days. grin

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Wed 19-Dec-12 07:14:06

If you CM has not booked it as holiday then it is business as usual! I could not bear to work on Xmas eve so i booked it as leave (I think I love Christmas Eve more than the day itself!)

doughnut44 Mon 17-Dec-12 23:59:04

If I am getting paid I would expect to work it x

greenbananas Mon 17-Dec-12 11:43:36

I worked both last year (and we had a lovely time putting the Christmas tree up on Christmas Eve). As others have said, these are not officially bank holidays, and most parents will have to work.

ZuleikaD Mon 17-Dec-12 09:42:48

It's a normal working day - I would expect your CM either to take your child or book it as holiday. Does she have paid holiday? At the least she should have given the contracted notice period to let you know she wouldn't be working it. I am working both CE and NYE.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 17-Dec-12 09:26:38

None of mine are coming on Xmas eve but I told them I would rather not work and am not until 7th jan but I don't charge.

RosieGirl Mon 17-Dec-12 08:48:36

I usually work it as its a normal working day, however I do try and finish early.

But this year as its on a Monday, I have also booked the whole week off.

Tanith Mon 17-Dec-12 06:33:31

It's a bit unusual this year as Christmas Eve falls on the Monday.
I've told parents I'm closed for that whole week up until 3rd January.
I am still taking one child on Christmas Eve, though.

Is your childminder closed over Christmas? Some do charge for their holidays.

boysarelikehogs Sun 16-Dec-12 21:29:06

Thanks that's great. Its just we never discussed it and my CM was quite surprised and said something like "(gasp) You want me to work Xmas eve and NYE??" Both fall on our usual days and I'd just assumed that she'd book them off but wondered if I was missing something. It seems not, thanks. I've already paid for them!

lechatnoir Sun 16-Dec-12 21:21:16

One of my mindees only attends Monday & Friday and will be coming Christmas Eve & NYE as normal (ie normal fee) but I did book the Friday after Christmas off as annual leave.

Not bank holidays so unless you/the cm specifically book them off in advance I would assume normal working day & certainly when i worked in an office the best i could hope for was a slightly earlier finish.

Eta my mindee goes at 3pm so not late otherwise I may well have booked those days off too wink

wednesdaygirl Sun 16-Dec-12 21:00:49

Part of my hols i book 22 days off a yr and use the days i need at christmas

Normally i work christmas eve but decided not to open this yr as its on a monday grin

lisa1968 Sun 16-Dec-12 20:36:49

nope-don't work Xmas eve or NYE.
None of the parents of my mindees work on those days either.
I finish this friday-21st-and return to work on the 3rd Jan.I'm on holiday in between grin

HSMM Sun 16-Dec-12 20:25:23

Because they are normal working days, not bank holidays

HSMM Sun 16-Dec-12 20:24:38

I would be working Christmas Eve if I hadn't booked the day off. I am working NYE.

boysarelikehogs Sun 16-Dec-12 20:20:18

And NYE? If they fall on normal working days would you expect to book them as holiday or what?

Thanks, I'll elaborate when baby finally sleeps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now