Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Childminder wants baby to nap in buggy

(12 Posts)
Gintonic Mon 17-Dec-12 17:52:15

Thanks so much for all the replies! My LO is quite flexible so I am hoping he will just adapt to it. The CM has said he will have a lunchtime sleep in the cot so I suppose he will have a chance to catch up then.

I had only looked at nurseries before which is why I was expecting him to sleep in a cot, but I can see this is not practical with older children. And I really want him to go to CM now that I have compared both.

Thanks again grin

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 17-Dec-12 15:00:59

sounds quite normal from the cm that i know smile

also please dont worry that your ds wont sleep - children often do things they wont do for their parents, for their childcarers - just as misteltoes said

alarkaspree Mon 17-Dec-12 13:22:54

My ds used to sleep beautifully in his buggy, and it made my life so much easier because I could do anything I wanted with dd, who was 2 at the time, knowing that ds could sleep anywhere. But I had friends whose children really couldn't sleep well except in a cot, and they had to work around that in their own planning.

So whilst there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a baby to have his naps on the go, if you think it really won't work for your ds then maybe this childminder isn't right for you, however nice she is in other ways.

anewyear Mon 17-Dec-12 13:17:25

A parent I know is Norweigan, her LO slept in his buggy outside in the all weather, as far as I know..
Her choice, its apparently normal over there.

MUM2BLESS Sun 16-Dec-12 19:42:35

The little girl that sleeps well with sometimes not sleep when at home with mum. We have different routines etc.

MummytoMog Sun 16-Dec-12 19:38:08

My DCs always slept really well during the day with the CM - couldn't get them to nap at home unless I took them out in the buggy. It is different when they're not at home, so you'll probably find your LO will be fine smile

MUM2BLESS Sun 16-Dec-12 19:21:21

I am a cm. Looked after babies and older kids.

I have a little one who sleeps during the day in the buggy. I have found this better as I do not have to get her up to put coat etc on. I have the school run to do and I need to go out again.

I have tried putting her down to sleep and this interupts her sleep. (putting coat etc on)

If the cm only has little babies then she can put them down to sleep without interupting their sleep.

I know you would prefer the baby to sleep in cot etc but you have to understand it from the cm view, who has other kids to care for.

My little one sleeps for ages in the buggy.

I do long hours 07.30 to 18.00 and sometimes I may need to pop to the shops etc.

If you are not happy with this then you may have to look for a cm who only has babies.

ZuleikaD Sun 16-Dec-12 18:56:24

I don't go out to groups with other children in the morning when the baby that I mind needs to nap. I think it's down to each individual CM but personally if a parent wanted their child to have its nap in a cot not in a buggy then I would do that. We get lots of garden time in the morning and if we're going out to somewhere we do it in the afternoon after everyone's had a sleep.

ReetPetit Sun 16-Dec-12 15:02:23

This is completly normal,standard practice ime. Most of us go out in the morning to groups and then children nap at home in the afternoon. Your ds will be fine,he will get used to it! And remember,soon he will be the older one and you will be pleased hes not stuck indoors all morning while a younger mindee sleeps!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrazzleMISTLEtoes Sat 15-Dec-12 23:08:21

I used a childminder for DS and it wasn't uncommon for him to nap in the buggy though he rarely did at home. Tbh I think they often have enough on their plate with looking after various children - if they made sure they all had a nap at exactly the child's preferred time in a cot they would never get out of the house.

I wouldn't worry too much and I'm sure he will get used to it.

For me, DD won't sleep anywhere other than her cot, in dark and quiet. At nursery she sleeps on a thin mattress on the floor with lights and music on. I have no idea how!!!

Gintonic Sat 15-Dec-12 23:02:52

Hello I am in the process of getting a childminder for my DS. I have found someone who seems suitable however she wants DS to take his morning nap in the buggy so that she can be out with him and an older child. I am concerned about this as DS does not sleep well in the buggy and I don't want to mess up his sleep. Is this standard for childminders with children of different ages? Grateful for any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now