This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Help for temporarily single dad

(7 Posts)
fgr Tue 18-Dec-12 20:29:59

Oh that is brilliant. If you do change your mind please feel free to pm me as D supports lots of single dads on a voluntary basis and will be delighted to help if you need a hand further down the line.

Love and hugs to all of you xxxxx

BakingBunty Tue 18-Dec-12 14:07:29

Thank you so much fgr. We have found someone but really appreciate you taking the time to post - and please pass on my thanks to your old maternity nurse too.

MrAnchovy Tue 18-Dec-12 13:58:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fgr Tue 18-Dec-12 11:26:18

Hi there,

I have just had a call form my old maternity nurse asking me to post as she is not allowed to being an agency owner. She would love to help and if you PM me I will give her your details or if you prefer I can pass on hers to you and she wants to talk to you when she is free after 3pm today.

Hope this helps and love to you all xxxx

BakingBunty Thu 13-Dec-12 12:07:48

Thank you so much fraktion, that's great.

fraktion Thu 13-Dec-12 09:17:12

I'm so sorry to hear that sad

Yes, you can find people to do a few nights per week or a combination of days and nights. Rather than a maternity nurse you might want to look at a postnatal doula or a night nanny. A PN doula would be able to give your DB help and support caring for the baby as well as some household support whereas a night nanny would just look after the baby at night times.

There are lots of different places to look - netmums childcare board, Nannyjob, the local boards on here, Gumtree or an agency.

If you recruit online be doubly vigilant checking ID and references. You should do this for all candidates even if they come through an agency anyway.

BakingBunty Thu 13-Dec-12 06:40:11

My DSIL had a stroke after giving birth to a small but beautiful DS on Sunday at 36 weeks. She is stable but will be in a stroke unit for many weeks/months, and her LO can only visit a few times a day. My nephew is doing really well and is being discharged today. My DB is understandably completely overwhelmed. Our family is small but close and we are planning to spend as many nights as possible with DB to help out, whilst not wanting to underestimate how capable he is, and his need for space. However, I'm wondering whether a maternity nurse for a night or two a week might be helpful (it's their first LO). During the day he will be at the hospital with my nephew visiting DSIL. I would love pointers regarding how to find a maternity nurse, and whether they would do a night or two, or only full time (which we couldn't afford). We are in London. Thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now