This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ofsted/diversity issues...

(12 Posts)
Italiana Sun 09-Dec-12 08:54:20

If this inspector did frame the question badly I feel that 'by leaving it' will only
mean she is free to repeat this in every inspection she carries out
As the Ofsted manager told us at our workshop 'inspectors are getting to grips' with new inspections...this is something that requires

The c/m has 24 hoyrs after she receives her report and afterwards 30 days to raise concerns about the judgement....I hope she does raise it for everyone's sake

apotomak Sat 08-Dec-12 17:47:39

I would imagine the inspector might have asked the question in general and then asked to give an example based on particular child present. I have books/toys/dolls etc showing people from different backgrounds and abilities as well as photos/pictures on my walls. We are not the same and children should be treated as individuals. Maybe that's what the inspector wanted to see. I for example have a special request from parents of one child in my care to cover her hair when we play with sand as her hair is braided. That is to do with her background as her hair needs special treatment.
I would leave it unless you were there and heard the whole conversation not just one question taken out of context.

eski2606 Sat 08-Dec-12 14:35:11

Thanks for replying. I'm in complete agreement that the question should have been posed to each child rather than just my son. I find it all laughable in a way as my son is 1, I'm not sure what they were hoping she would teach him at this point regarding cultures anyway... But I guess that's just ofsted smile

Italiana Sat 08-Dec-12 09:35:39

You will not cause any aggro, on the contrary raising a very valid point about equality
In my setting only one child is British all others of diverse cultures and all are respected and reflected in the practice

fraktion Sat 08-Dec-12 09:33:01

The question was phrased very badly and the inspector should not have assumed anything based on the colour of your son's skin. That is racism and the inspector should be pulled up on it.

As for OFSTED and diversity, well, it'll be something else next year...

Welovecouscous Sat 08-Dec-12 09:13:06

Just daft sad

HSMM Sat 08-Dec-12 09:11:34

Sorry ... I do realise your child is British ... just wanted to offer another experience.

HSMM Sat 08-Dec-12 09:10:37

I look after 2 children who are not British and their parents are adamant that as the experts in their culture, they should do that and I should teach them about the culture they are now living in. My inspector was not happy about this, but eventually caved when I was adamant that I was meeting the child's and parents needs. Having said that, the inspector should ask about meeting diversity for all children and not one particular child.

eski2606 Sat 08-Dec-12 08:33:40

Thank you for your advice.

I will speak to cm about it, I don't want to cause any aggro for her as she is just brilliant! However I think she too was unhappy about the way the questions were asked.

Can I ask, what should they be asking re diversity etc?

Thanks again

Italiana Sat 08-Dec-12 08:16:34

Sorry for the addition...no pretty please but a strongly worded letter!!!

Italiana Sat 08-Dec-12 08:15:54

Yes you should as it appears this inspector framed the question very badly
As professionals we welcome all children and diversity is something very evident in my setting and I am sure in many many more
Your c/m too should raise concerns about this sort of question...I know I would if it was asked of me

In an inspection there are set targets and I would say probably set questions ...this one is unacceptable and you should make sure it gets changed and never asked again

The problem with Ofsted now is that the inspectors are from all sorts of backgrounds and with different, if any. knowledge, of early years and are still getting to grips with the new inspections

let us know

eski2606 Sat 08-Dec-12 07:28:13

Hi there,

My ds childminder had her inspection from ofsted in the week, the inspector questioned her about her procedures for dealing with my sons cultural background and she replied that she deals with it in the same way as her dds and other mindee.

My son is mixed race, his grandmother is black. His whole family are British, he is growing up in an atheist household. What 'diversity issues'' (ofsted words) do they think he has?!

I get similar from drs, health visitor etc. people will ask 'are you sure he's British?' well yes I am?!

If I'd have been there I would have answered that we want him to be proud of his culture, we celebrated the jubilee, we go to remembrance, etc . My son is British!!

He has no religious needs, I would be appalled if my childminder ever suggested treating him differently due to the fact that his skin is slightly darker than mine!

Why do ofsted and other professionals make judgements like this? It makes my blood boil!

Should I write and say pretty please ofsted, i want an explanation of this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now