This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

I don't no if I can do this much longer. Please advise.

(9 Posts)
Karoleann Fri 07-Dec-12 22:42:21

I would not be at all happy if my 7 year old was hitting my nanny, it's completely unacceptable and I would be doing significantly more about it than the parents you work. Have the parents given you anything to work with. I would be removing treats tv etc.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 07-Dec-12 14:11:01

sounds a typical 7yr boy to be honest, apart from the hitting you - that is totally unacceptable behaviour (as supernanny would say) and needs to stop at once

do the parents back you up? how do the deal with his behaviour? and yes i would start taking away pocket money/treats/tv etc

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 07-Dec-12 03:02:43

Tbh (this may sound harsh) you're a nanny, it's your job to deal with children and this includes bad behaviour. It's up to you to sort his behaviour out. What techniques are you using to deal with it?

I do sympathise btw I also look after a 7 year old, I've been here ages so she's grown up with me, but she still drives me nuts, I think it's an age thing. I just look at it as a trial of the job though, I don't think I'd be a good nanny if I threw in the towel when faced with a whingey baby, a stroppy toddler or a rude 7-year old.

nannynick Thu 06-Dec-12 22:27:55

What has happened in the past? You are new, maybe he has had lots of changes in carer so does not want to make an effort to get along with you. Maybe he feels that if he can get you to leave then a parent will stay at home.
See if he will talk about his past, it may then become clearer about how he feels.

NatashaBee Thu 06-Dec-12 21:09:40

I think you need to agree a set punishment with the parents, that you're both consistent with. Maybe taking away TV privileges, a pocket money chart where he loses a set amount for each misbehaviour, or something that you both agree on and follow through with?

laalala Thu 06-Dec-12 21:02:20

He's 7 no additional needs. The parents know he's like this as I write it all down in the daily diary. They have had a chat with him about it being unacceptable to treat me like this, but it hasn't changed anything.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 06-Dec-12 21:00:31

How old is he? Does he have SN?

Gigondas Thu 06-Dec-12 20:59:49

Have you discussed this with his parents? What do they say?

laalala Thu 06-Dec-12 20:57:57

I've been nannying for a family for about 3 months now. There eldest child has always been difficult with behavior but lately it's just got so much I'm finding it unbearable. He's rude and disrespectful to me, mimicking back what I say when telling him off. Even hitting me lightly occasionally. He's just as bad with his parents at times, but he really makes my days misery at some points which isn't a pleasant feeling for a job. He can be a lovely boy at times but I've just never encountered such a disrespectful attitude before and I don't know what to do for best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now