Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Christmas etiquette for Childminders

(12 Posts)
anewyear Fri 07-Dec-12 13:51:27

As a childminder I certainly wouldnt expect my mindees parents to buy for my kids or any others that may be here.

coldcupoftea Thu 06-Dec-12 19:45:14

2tired, it wouldn't occur to me to buy fpr other mindees, any more than I would buy for DD1's school friends. A card would be nice though.

coldcupoftea Thu 06-Dec-12 19:43:19

I'm planning on getting something like a bottle of wine for DD's childminder and a box of christmassy biscuits for them all to share.

So am i odd that I'm buying for the other mindees (and the cm)?

Doraemon Thu 06-Dec-12 19:38:16

This is my first Christmas cming, and until I read this I wasn't expecting anything more than a card to be honest. Box of chocolates would be nice but I certainly wouldn't expect anything for my children. Am now wondering whether I'm odd....

leeloo1 Wed 05-Dec-12 14:14:23

I've had some families buy for me, some for DS, some for both, some for neither. In order of preference I'd say:

1 both of us - showed appreciation of work I do and how hard it is for DS to share his house/toys/family with the mindees. Also recognition that DS is the mindee's friend and playmate.
2. just DS (he's had toys/books)
3. just me (I've had flowers, smellies, dish with little one's handprints)
4. neither (not even a card from some people! sad)

But, in your situation it may depend on the age of the CM's children - if they were school age then perhaps the mindees would have less impact on them and there'd be less need to get a gift for them.

If money's an issue then I'd definitely go with a card with personal message for CM - saying how much you appreciate what she does for you (I love cards like this and save them) and a toy/book for the CM's children.

forevergreek Tue 04-Dec-12 22:53:31

I would get something for her, and then a token gift for children ( box of chocolates for everyone to share or something)

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Tue 04-Dec-12 20:38:28

I am a CM and one of my families buy something for my DS and most of the others get something for me.

If I were in your position, I would just get the CMs something small. It gets too silly and too expensive to buy for their entire families. It is a very kind thought on your part! A box of chocolates could be enjoyed by everyone.

lisa1968 Tue 04-Dec-12 20:25:28

It's entirely up to you.
Most of my mindees buy just for me-after all,it is me who's doing the caring,paperwork etc!-but one or two buy for my kids (just a little something) and one parent always buys for DH " cos he has to put up with the kids as well!"
It could work out pricey if there's 5 children to buy for,and us CM's do love a little personal gift just to show appreciation....smile

SavoyCabbage Tue 04-Dec-12 20:21:49

I would try and get something they can enjoy as a family.

IwishyouaMerryChristmas Tue 04-Dec-12 20:19:49

In the past I've bought vouchers between the whole family for a restaurant that I know they like, or for the cinema.

negrilbaby Tue 04-Dec-12 20:17:17

I have been using 2 childminders since September part-time for my DD.
We're very happy. They both provide great home-from-home environments and DD is really happy with them. I fully intend to buy the Childminders a Christmas gift but have been wondering whether I need to buy their children gifts as well - there are 5 kids between the two.
What would others do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now