Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

After school pick up charges

(29 Posts)
CountingSparrows Mon 03-Dec-12 14:41:43

Just after some ideas please; I've recently asked my cm if she could collect ds1 from school and keep him until 5pm, and she is not sure what to charge for this. School is about a 10 minute walk, collect at 3.10pm, and keep him until 5pm. I hope I can afford it as she has ds2 who is really happy with her.

I just wondered what you cms out there would charge (and do you do reduced rate for siblings?)? TIA

sunnyshine Tue 11-Dec-12 17:00:31

Where actually are you? Someone may be able to help?

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 11-Dec-12 17:11:32

Tanith

I read the OP where the OP clearly states her requirements and it is a lesser service than I provide (I go until 6pm and provide food). I just wouldn't expect the service to be double the price for less just because its in a different area. The minimum wage doesn't double does it?

As I said I didn't notice your post that you charged the same as the OP's CM or I wouldn't have commented - as it did come across as aimed at you straight after your post. Not my intention as like you say I don't know your circumstances. I did however know the OP's.

But for what the OP wanted - no actual outlay in cost - no petrol and no food £20 is a lot of money.
Is it not?

But like the OP said its her business and she runs it how she chooses.

I intended to provide an evening meal for my charge of £10 however my parents turn up at any time from 4.30 pm and it isn't long enough to cook tea and get them fed, before they start collecting.

But I'm v lucky to live up North in a massive semi with a big playroom that costs me less than £400 a month in mortgage!
But my prices also reflect what my parents can afford.

Tanith Tue 11-Dec-12 18:11:17

I can't say whether or not it's a lot of money because I don't know where the childminder lives, the going rate locally or what kind of service the childminder provides.

I didn't take it as a personal attack on me but, what I have said again and again on here is that it's not for any of us to judge another childminder's charges.

There are so many reasons why the charge is £20 and, presumably, the childminder has costed her service and is charging what she believes she needs to provide the service. If she's extortionate, parents won't use her (if she doesn't want to provide that service, she might even be charging a high fee to put people off!).

Incidentally, if you're charging to include a cooked evening meal and not actually providing it, aren't you overcharging your parents...? wink

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 11-Dec-12 21:33:47

Luckily I realised how much it'd cost me and didn't want to charge an additional £1.50 for meals.

I changed my mind just before I took on my first customers. (phew!)

I am sure the CM in my town think I charge too much as I went in at going rate for area £3.50- hour / £10 after school. And some of the older more established ones only charge £3-3.25.

But I could see the predicted hikes in food and energy and thought it best TI go in higher.

I get what you are saying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now