This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

E Truss and the DfE announce a flat rate of £5.09 for 2 year old funding

(20 Posts)
Italiana Wed 28-Nov-12 22:09:56

Thank you..we'll see whether our LA sticks to £6.10 or drops...something tells me c/ms are not amused!!!

MrAnchovy Wed 28-Nov-12 21:15:03

... it seems that the figure for Richmond is £5.53, but this is only an estimate...

MrAnchovy Wed 28-Nov-12 21:12:42

There is an analyis of what it all means on Childminder Focus, including a calculation of the estimated rate the funding has been based on in each authority.

OddBoots Wed 28-Nov-12 09:34:52

Quite concerning given that those in the trial who got around £6 per hour found they ran at a loss given the high care needs of the children funded.

Italiana Wed 28-Nov-12 09:16:42

Nannynick Thank you for sharing your calculations...I will try to do them for my area and see what I get to and find out if the present rate of £6.10 will drop to £5.09 or even less
I would have thought that NCMA would have calculated this for c/ms since they have endorsed this flat rate

Italiana Wed 28-Nov-12 07:34:54

So E Truss with all her good intentions to change things, as she promised, has actually changed nothing as LAs will do as they pleaseas they have done unless money ringfenced

These kids need high quality care and Truss recognises this by saying Good'Outstanding providers are the ones to deliver but then rewards us with pittance...sad I thought she would do more and expects us to 'challenge'the LAs?....we are back to square one I'm afraid

MrAnchovy Tue 27-Nov-12 23:44:59

Let's be absolutely clear - it is entirely up to local authorities how they spend this money and there will definitely not be a single rate that applies across the country. It is not even true (or likely if past experience with 3 and 4 year old funding which is allocated by central government through the same funding stream is anything to go by) that ANY rate will be as high as £5.09.

I will write more about this tomorrow, if any childminder has specific questions they would like to ask I will endeavour to provide an answer from their point of view (which I don't think you will get from anyone else).

nannynick Tue 27-Nov-12 22:05:46

A quick calc (statutory place funding/estimated places, then divide by 38, then divide by 5, then divide by 3 - so 3 hours per day, 5 days per week, for 38 weeks in the year)

I make it 5.67 per hour for Isle of Silly, 4.94 per hour for Gloucestershire (figures rounded up to nearest decimal place).

Takes no account of the Building Allocation thingy, whatever that is.

Fair to say it's unlikely to be a flat rate?

OddBoots Tue 27-Nov-12 12:13:37

It needs a bit of crunching and I am not sure I will have time before work but the numbers are here now in the PDF Local authority allocations

Strix Tue 27-Nov-12 11:04:23

Oh silly me. A quick google reveals i wont qualify... Surprise surprise. now i know why itscalled education instead of childcare: because it isnt for the working population who actually NEED childcare.

Strix Tue 27-Nov-12 10:58:03

Isnt that childcare?

OddBoots Tue 27-Nov-12 10:14:59

Which sounds far more patronising than I meant it to, sorry.

OddBoots Tue 27-Nov-12 10:13:23

Education doesn't have to mean timetables Strix, in this case it is education through a balance of child and adult led care and play. smile

nannynick Tue 27-Nov-12 10:13:06

Glad Im not the only one who can't find it. Maybe it is being published later today.

Strix Tue 27-Nov-12 10:09:18

Oh goodness, what have i missed? Education for 2 year olds... Really? Or do we mean childcare?

Strix frantically making timestable study sheet for almost two year old DS2, whilst fretting over realisation she has dropped the ball on this one... Yikes!

OddBoots Tue 27-Nov-12 09:50:14

I have spent a hour this morning trying to find it nannynick, with no success. I am normally very good at finding online info so I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it isn't there, not yet anyway. I think NW are responding to press release rather than finding the info themselves.

nannynick Tue 27-Nov-12 09:33:40

I can't locate the press release on the DfE website.

Nursery World says the info is on the DfE website.

Nursery World also mentions a new tool from Ofsted, I can't find that either.

I'm clearly having a bad day in finding things. Has anyone found the things being referred to the Nursery World article?

Italiana Tue 27-Nov-12 09:12:00

My LA pays £6+ now...does it mean they will continue paying that or reduce it to £5.09? who knows?

OddBoots Tue 27-Nov-12 09:03:06

Maybe i am misunderstanding but I read "on average local authorities will receive £5.09 per child per hour" so I thought it was a flat rate per authority but each authority will get a different amount with it averaging at £5.09

I can't yet find the info about what the rate is in my authority (any other).

Italiana Tue 27-Nov-12 08:59:57

E Truss and her team at the DfE have announced that the flat rate to deliver the 2 year old Free Education is to be £ 5.09

Your thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now