Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Become a childminder- possibly stupid questions

(8 Posts)
thebody Mon 26-Nov-12 23:14:52

Hi op, I ran a very successful childminding business and loved it.. Had to give up recently. Please feel free to pm me if you want info..

lechatnoir Mon 26-Nov-12 23:04:31

I haven't got a playroom but have a large storage shelf in the living room & have commandeered the bottom half for toys but all in nice boxes and they get tidied away every night. I have a travel cot in our spare room & put that down at the weekend, notice board with my certificate etc gets propped up on a shelf in the morning & slots behind the hall table at night, high chair folded away each night, buggies stay in the garage at all times. I bought one of those retractable stair gates (2nd hand on eBay fearfully expensive new wink) so it's not too obvious as I don't want my home to resemble a nursery.

Svrider Mon 26-Nov-12 22:17:18

I think childminding is rather like parenting in that you set things up in your own way, according to your individual circumstances (within constraints of ofsted obs.)
I think having a nosy round other childminders houses is an excellent idea
Good luck

Italiana Mon 26-Nov-12 22:13:08

Do you know any childminders who collect from the nursery? you could ask them for advice..I bet someone will be good enough to offer you a tour of their house so you can see for yourself and get ideas! Good luck

pippin26 Mon 26-Nov-12 21:50:38

Have a nosey over on a new forum with lots of experienced (and new minders)

http://www.ukchildminding.info/?sid=cbae71e11c90ba8ef4d2520b598fd225

I am lucky to have a 'playroom' and therefore most things are able to be left/set out on a more permanant basis.
My sitting room is the quiet/tv room, only quiet gentle games allowed ie a jigsaw or reading a book.

Upstairs is registered but is by invite only (and where the tots sleep)
The garden is big and has lots of 'stuff' out there, a hoop, blackboard, playhouse, ride on's water and sand trays, mud pit etc etc

SomebodySaveMe Mon 26-Nov-12 16:42:44

Brilliant, thank you. The council have just emailed me over a registration pack so I'm going to go over that tonight and have a look on some forums.

Runoutofideas Mon 26-Nov-12 16:21:05

My whole house is registered for childminding. I have a sitting room which has boxes of toys at the end of each sofa which are rotated and toys used and then put away again, so it stays fairly clutter free. I also have a conservatory which is full of toys for varying ages. Most of the lower down, accessible stuff is suitable for little ones to help themselves to. I have a table with crayons/crafty stuff always available as well as dressing up stuff, kitchen role play stuff etc.

The garden has a slide and swing always available and further ride on toys and water table/sand pit stored in the garage to be brought out when needed.

My own children's rooms are not off limits as they like to take the school aged mindees up there to play after school. I also use them for little ones to sleep in, in travel cots, during the day.

I found the childmindingforum helpful when I started out. I have only been registered since April so it is all pretty new to me too.

SomebodySaveMe Mon 26-Nov-12 14:23:00

How do you set up your home? Do you keep things out permanently or bring out as needed? Are DCs bedrooms off limits?
Is there a website that anyone can recommend for someone looking to start up?
I currently work in a nursery however it's a fixed term contract and runs out in July.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now