Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

What are you getting your nanny for Christmas?

(19 Posts)
thinkfast Fri 23-Nov-12 20:00:39

And how much do you spend? Not sure if it's relevant but she nomally does 3 10 hour days a week (sometimes 4) looking after 14 month old Ds. Love her and want to show she's really appreciated (however can't break the bank...)

If you are a nanny what gifts do you like?

PurpleHeadedMountain Fri 23-Nov-12 23:13:26

I get our nanny vouchers for her fave clothes shop plus a personalised gift from the children. Plus a card...

thinkfast Sat 24-Nov-12 07:39:08

Is some molten brown stuff plus John Lewis vouchers too boring?

RobinSucks Sat 24-Nov-12 08:53:42

It's not what you spend, it's what you spend it on! I'm a nanny and I always appreciate it more when the parents get me something they know I'd like. For example, for me Molten Brown and John Lewis would be a lovely gift, don't get me wrong, but as I'm allergic to most brands and never ever shop in JL it would show that they don't really know me. Some people get spa days, which I would hate, I'd much sooner get a book voucher! But for some a spa day would be bliss! If any of that makes sense! Think what she is like, what kind of stuff she buys, what you know about her.

thinkfast Sat 24-Nov-12 17:28:11

Red wine and voucher for her kindle then. Seems a bit boring to me though....

thinkfast Sat 24-Nov-12 17:40:35

She goes horse riding. Can anyone think of a gift connected with that?

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 24-Nov-12 17:41:36

if in doubt then amazon vouchers as then can buy books/games/cd/perfume - basically anything

thinkfast Sat 24-Nov-12 17:44:53

Thanks

goldmum Sun 25-Nov-12 08:33:17

Our local stables do gift vouchers which you can use for lessons, group rides or in their shop. Is there anywhere near you that might do that?

Rugbycomet Sun 25-Nov-12 12:56:44

How about a voucher for a Polo lesson???

thinkfast Sun 25-Nov-12 13:58:41

Good suggestions but the place she goes is miles away and I'm not sure of the name.

Derbys Sun 25-Nov-12 15:02:14

A joules t-shirt (us horse folk wear them for riding in)!

thinkfast Mon 26-Nov-12 23:23:24

Thanks. Will look them up

imamummyandananny Tue 27-Nov-12 18:10:44

Just a thought but my lovely bosses just give me a christmas bonus (£250) this year, which I'm going to spend on theatre tickets and clothes. I prefer this to being bought a random gift I might never use.

hinnigan01 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:23:29

As an ex-nanny, I totally agree with Robinsucks, a present to show you know her likes is great. I'm also a horse rider , how about hunter wellies, horsey people love these but are quite an indulgence, so I've never bought them! Big thick cable knit wellie socks?

hinnigan01 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:25:49

Or second any joules clothing is a great idea.

samlamb Mon 03-Dec-12 11:38:34

I'm getting our wonderful nanny a weekend away somewhere special. For her birthday I got her a break for 2 in Cornwall. She is fab!

NotAChocolateRaisin Wed 05-Dec-12 11:22:42

Amazon Vouchers are always a win because they can be spent on almost anything!

MarshmallowCupcake Wed 05-Dec-12 20:29:42

My current boss texted my hubby to find out what I needed for my birthday!Hubby told her I was the most awkward person to buy for but he'd help. MB asked about a coffee machine as I'd commented on one a few months earlier while we were shopping. Hubby then told her which one I would like but suggested amazon vouchers towards it as it was quite expensive. Well MB bought it and turned me into a complete blubbering muppet trying to say thank you! She cornered hubby last week when he came to work to see about an Xmas prezzy, body shop butter and Yankee candles were suggested! Like its been said, it's not the expense, it's the thought that goes into buying a gift.
I love the thoughtfulness off my boss!
Whereas a previous boss always handed gifts over while saying 'it wasn't what I wanted to get you!' Totally spoilt the opening of my gifts :-(
If she's horsey, joules/hunters or amazon gift cards would be great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now