This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Ad hoc childcare options?

(7 Posts)
EmmaJonesMFC Tue 04-Dec-12 11:52:39

I use a service called Emergency Childcare. You register, browse through the childminders available in your area, read their profiles, select your favourite and enter the days and hours you need them. Have a look at their website www.emergencychildcare.co.uk for more details. My children love spending time at our chosen childminder and as a working parent, I find their services invaluable knowing well that my children are in safe hands.

poopnscoop Wed 21-Nov-12 08:52:39

I am as nokidshere Monday to Thursday, am always full though, so rarely am able to help.

Friday is my own flexi day as I study and often have class, so I don't contract children on Fridays, do ad hoc care then. Every Friday I am available for care at least 2 of my parents always need me, so it works well.

bitsofmeworkjustfine Wed 21-Nov-12 08:10:00

I'm a childminder and i do ad hoc sessions because it suits me. But i wouldnt be able to accomodate you on a Thurdsay since that is my busiest day.

there are + and -

+ no comittment
- you might not be able to have it exactly when you need it

nokidshere Wed 21-Nov-12 00:57:18

I do ad hocs if I have the space. Some people ask me just the night before or even the same day - if I have space I generally say yes. But they always know that its not a guaranteed place.

If you know you want a space 3 mornings one week and 3 afternoons I would work out a contract based on minimum hours required smile

HSMM Tue 20-Nov-12 23:12:35

I do ad hoc for parents in school holidays, but not adhoc school pickups . Ask around your area, because it is possible that there will be someone who can do exactly what you need.

lechatnoir Tue 20-Nov-12 22:50:11

If you don't want to commit to regular sessions you might find CM's reluctant to commit to you, however, if you can be totally flexible about when your LO attends you might appeal to someone looking to fill the odd space or someone like me who prefers not to be at maximum numbers all the time but doesn't mind occasionally grin.

SilverSixpence Tue 20-Nov-12 22:26:50

I've stopped full time work and am in a position where I can do some supply work flexibly. DS is 4 and in reception. I don't have any childcare at the moment except my Mil who works partly from home but is hardly ever available the times I need. Just wondering what my options are if I just need 2-3 days childcare most weeks either morning or afternoon. Will childminders be ok with this kind of work as it would vary week to week? Are there any other options available?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now