Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Giving notice... Nicely...

(7 Posts)
IceCubes Wed 21-Nov-12 12:35:55

Looney that is a lovely email! You must be a great CM smile

And thank you, MUM. I just hate this situation. Lets hope it is all resolved quickly and I can send my children back soon!

MUM2BLESS Tue 20-Nov-12 14:08:30

IceCubes stop beating up yourself. Your circumstances have changed and you need to make this important decision.

You sound like such a caring and loving person who has a great cm.

Do what you need to do. May things turn around for you and your cm for the better!!! smile

looneytune Tue 20-Nov-12 13:14:00

Hi. I'm a pregnant childminder who has just had loads give notice at once but all very nicely done. 2 families (3 children) are leaving after 5/6 years due to job changes (just a coincidence that it's whilst I'm pg), 1 has halved their days after school because they needed to make sure they have other care ready for when I go on ML next year and another is leaving for the same reason. All of them were lovely saying it was bad timing with their jobs or they were really sorry but they had to take the alternative whilst they had a space and they all know it's a terrible time financially so felt even worse. I was fine with them all as it's not their fault. You say you want to soften the blow so I think saying how good they were and that you'd recommend them etc. would be a nice thing. One of the emails I got was from a mum saying she couldn't say face to face as would end up crying and then explained about the job change and not needing care and then ended it with this (which had me in floods of tears and meant SO much!):

'Thank you so much for all the care, encouragement, support, kindness, friendship (hope that will continue), advice, patience and general excellent childminding services to date – you were quite literally a God send and I am so grateful to you for all you have done over the past 5 yrs.x'

If you explain your situation and put it nicely, that's all you need to do as they'll understand you have no choice. Good luck smile

IceCubes Tue 20-Nov-12 12:07:46

Thank you, that's really helpful. I will write a nice letter and say those things. I still feel dreadful though!

And my typing finally dies - that should read "to the point" and "care that she has provided for your children"

I would stress about a change in your financial circumstances, following redundancy, which mean that you are no longer able to afford the cost of her Child minding Service. Simple and too the point.

Maybe finish off with an explanation of 4 weeks' money in lieu of notice, because of the council's decision on the taxi, and you wish her well for the future and would recommend her to other parents seeking a childminder because your decision is in no way related to the car that she has provided for your children.

IceCubes Tue 20-Nov-12 11:58:23

My son has been going to this CM for about 6 years. I've recently lost my job and can no longer afford the cost before and after school. He gets a taxi (he is SN) and most days does not spend all of the time at her house that he is contracted for, therefore I have switched the taxi drop off to my address starting Monday.

I know she is having severe financial problems and has very few mindees at the moment and I am really worried about telling her. I am planning to pay four weeks money in lieu of notice as the council want to change the taxi over as soon as possible.

She also had my other children at one point, but due to ill health they have not been for a few weeks. There is no contract in place for my other children and I pay her as and when. Do I need to give notice for my others?

Please help, lovely CM people! I feel terrible at kicking a fantastic CM when she's down. How can I soften the blow?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now