This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

AIBU to think £17.50/hr is too much to pay a nanny in London

(32 Posts)
JugglingChaotically Mon 19-Nov-12 21:39:47

We are looking for a flexible nanny to work less hours in term time (34 hours over 4 days) and full time in holidays (40 hours over 4 days) and found a lovely local nanny but she has asked for £17.50 gross an hour.
AIBU to think that it is too much? We live in West London/ Surrey borders and had offered £13/hour.

StillSquiffy Thu 22-Nov-12 09:08:23

I might have had some sympathy if she were looking after newborn twins or 3 under-fives, or something, but IMVHO she is absolutely taking the piss.

I have never heard of this kind of rate for what is really very standard hours. Even 8 to 6.30 is a breeze (I have had my nannies do some 6am starts, and some 9pm finishes as part of their duties). For your neck of the woods I'd say £13 gross would be absolute tops.

If the one at home is no longer a baby, you could get an au pair couple living in to do all your childcare and your cleaning and your gardening and other chores, and you'd still have £300 left over each week. Then in the holidays there'd be a boy to play footie and rugby with the boys, and a girl to take your DDs shopping. That's what I'd be weighing it up against, if it were me....

ceeveebee Thu 22-Nov-12 09:59:08

I had a night nanny to look after my newborn twins in Richmond and she only charged £15 ph gross.

JugglingChaotically Thu 22-Nov-12 23:21:15

Mr A - our original offer was 490 gross for 4 days and she said no! She wanted that amount net!

All - thanks so much for your help.

I was utterly horrified at her request and very worried sad as we just cant afford it.

I will re-advertise but for a 40 hour week over 4 days at 520 gross and see what happens.

BranchingOut Fri 23-Nov-12 07:47:04

The only thing I can think of is that she was previously on the celebrity nannying circuit!

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 23-Nov-12 11:49:35

Why readvertise for a higher gross amount?

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 23-Nov-12 11:52:25

Tho £520 will be £13 gross and just over £10nett so a good wage

Mosman Sat 24-Nov-12 00:31:53

Blimey we paid £10 an hour in the north west, I think you have to ask yourself can this person live on what you are offering to pay and £17 an hour in London doesn't sound like much to me tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now