Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

don't think dd will take bottle from cm

(21 Posts)
PebblePots Sat 17-Nov-12 19:56:30

My dd is starting at cm in Dec, she will be 12 mo. She is formula fed & blw. She isn't eating much solids yet so still relies on milk for nutrition
She really will only drink bottles from me & a little bit from my mum. I don't think she'll take a bottle from the cm. Also my dad & stepmother will be looking after her one day a week so suspect same problem.

What should I do? Should I get her used toj drinking milk from a beaker so it's a 'different thing's to a bottle with me?

Any experience / advice appreciates, thanks. Sorry for typos, retched phone

llamallama Sat 17-Nov-12 20:01:24

I would get her used to a beaker but what is her food/milk daily intake? Perhaps reducing her milk feeds will encourage her to eat more food?

LynetteScavo Sat 17-Nov-12 20:01:49

At 12m she will be old enough to ditch the bottle.

She will probably reduce the amount of milk she takes during the day, but up it morning and evening, so all will be well. smile

Caerlaverock Sat 17-Nov-12 20:07:30

Dd went into childcare aged 8 months not taking a bottle, she is a strapping 8year old. Good luck!

GrimAndHumourless Sat 17-Nov-12 20:10:59

yes agree with Lynette

I wouldn't say you absolutely have time to get her used to a beaker as it might only be a fortnight til you go back to work, but certainly introduce one if you like

EBDTeacher Sat 17-Nov-12 20:11:24

If there are no other underlying issues with your DD she is old enough to just eat what the other kids eat at the CM's. We did blw with DS because he point blank refused to allow us to feed him with a spoon. By 12mo he was eating what we ate. (That said, he still has a bottle at night at 2.3, but it's more for comfort than anything).

Assuming you've chosen a good, experienced CM I'd just let her manage feeding your DD. You'll probably find your DD will do all sorts of things for your CM that she wouldn't do for you! In our case it was sleep- I thought he'd never fall asleep with anyone except me or DH as we had such a hard time with him. However, he slept regular as clockwork with CM, I think because it was just 'what happened' there and he followed suit.

PebblePots Sat 17-Nov-12 20:24:36

I was kind of hoping she would naturally start eating more & cut down on milk herself. Is this not the way it happens?

She has around 4-5 bottles in 24 hrs. Food is cheerfully stuffed in her mouth, a lot gets spat back out & she loses interest quickly & starts chucking it on the floor. She eats better when not in highchair.

Should she be capable of swallowing more by her age, 11 mo currently.

Maybe cm will get her eating more due to lack of milk.

PebblePots Sat 17-Nov-12 20:32:16

grim how long would it take for her to get used to a beaker then?

GrimAndHumourless Sat 17-Nov-12 20:40:15

well it might be a few trial and errors til you find one that suits, soft spout/valve, valve/hard spout, soft spout/no valve etc so it may take a week or two to work through through til she settles on one

NickNacks Sat 17-Nov-12 20:50:23

What does she currently drink water from?

PebblePots Sat 17-Nov-12 20:57:42

Drinks water from a Nuby bottle with a silicone straw with valve, she likes this.

GrimAndHumourless Sat 17-Nov-12 21:02:28

tried milk in it? hmmm might be a bit erk to clean thoroughly, scrub that idea

fraktion Sat 17-Nov-12 21:10:46

I think you may find that if she refuses milk she will be hungrier for more food so it will even out.

DS certainly ate more solids when I wasn't around because he didn't have his preferred option but was still hungry. He was BF though and we didn't push a bottle once he made it clear he didn't like bottled EBM. Still, same principle - less milk, more other stuff.

ThalianotFailure Sat 17-Nov-12 21:14:14

I wouldn't worry too much about the cm, children can behave quite differently in childcare, and when you aren't there. 4-5 bottles of milk sounds quite a lot at 12 mnths, I would think bottle when first awake, bottle around lunchtime nap, bottle at bedtime. You can try a cup but I know plenty of LOs who will happily drink water from a cup but still want milk in a bottle - it's not a problem. (btw, you can go onto full fat cows' milk at 12 mnths).

She should be having 3 meals a day plus snacks at 12 mnths, and again, at the cm she may well eat more, particularly if you cut down on her milk.

I wouldn't worry too much (easier said than done I know!), it'll sort itself out!

PebblePots Sat 17-Nov-12 22:06:03

Can she go onto cow's milk even though only eating minimal solids? I was wondering about keeping her on formula until her solids intake went up as assume formula has extra stuff added to make a balanced diet...

ThalianotFailure Sat 17-Nov-12 22:20:12

I don't know about the make-up of formula, but if she's having cereal that's fortified anyway. And you can give her vitamins. I can't help think that if you continue with formula after 12 mnths you're buying into the marketing!

nannynick Sat 17-Nov-12 22:46:43

If you stick with the normal formula not any of the follow on milks, then that will be fine. You could then introduce cows milk gradually.

I have found that children can go on hunger strike during the first few weeks of starting with a new childcarer. They will drink plenty from mum/primary carer.
Children copy others, so if the CM has other children at snack time, lunch time, then your DD will watch what those children do and is likely to copy, so she may eat quite well at the childminders after a while.

When going to pick her up from the childminders take a bottle with you (can you prep it at work?) Then if she has not had much during the day she can have it from you as soon as you have collected.

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 17-Nov-12 23:18:34

4-5 bottles a day sounds a lot of milk

Maybe you dd doesn't eat much as full from milk

I would give milk when wakes up and before goes to bed and but limit if not cut out during the day

Maybe at 12mths get rid of bottles and use beaker to drink milk from

But yes children do many things for cms and nannies that they won't do for their parents so please don't worry smile

minderjinx Sun 18-Nov-12 08:07:34

I wouldn't worry if she won't take a bottle from the CM (though she probably would if she needed it). If you and your CM give her plenty of dairy - cheese, butter, yoghourt, perhaps cows milk on cereal, fortified snacks etc - she will be fine.

PebblePots Mon 19-Nov-12 07:20:26

Thanks for all the advice, I am being more aware of feeding her when hungrier & small steps, but some improvement.

PebblePots Mon 19-Nov-12 07:30:06

Also I have a new bottle with straw / spout thing to use for milk when it's not her main feeds so she could use that at cm & if she won't have a bottle.

Her milk tends to be on waking & finish off bottle after breakfast. Before nap at 11 ish, bedtime - 2 bottles or if only 1, will have a night feed. Maybe some late afternoon. Is not a hugely fixed routine, I'm going to try to get her to have more cheese & yoghurt through day & hope she'll drop the now-and-then milk that isn't part of a main feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now