Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Childminder using her motherly instinct

(27 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Fri 16-Nov-12 14:03:29

I childmind seven children. I am NOT trying to be their mum, as no one can take mums place.

What do you deal with yourself and what do you let the parents deal with?

Over my time as a cm I have had to step back and let the parents deal with things such as challenging behaviour, homework not being done, coat not being brought to mine, parents not remembering its non unform (dealing with the crying)

I have look after the children with great care but sometimes I have gone from cm to taking on extra things.

How do you ensure you stay balance?

Three of the children are the same age as as my youngest, therfore I know what is taking place at school.

What are your views on this?

At the end of the day I am a mother myself.

MyBestfriendsWedding Sun 18-Nov-12 09:44:43

I would offer a mindee a quiet area if they were old enough and happy to get some homework finished. Some CM's only care for after school children and that may work easier to help out with homework. I can't imagine an after school club would be able to accommodate 1-1 homework - I may be wrong! I'm sure most CM's go above and beyond when we can. mum2 you sound like a very caring and thoughtful CM.

MUM2BLESS Mon 19-Nov-12 13:16:51

Homework can be a tricky topic.

My youngest sometimes does not want to do it. I have to insist. I help him and sometimes my husband does too.

When it comes to h wk. the parents MUST BE the ones to insist its done. I would be willing to help a child if they will let me. Not stressing myself out anymore if they do not. Tried it and I dont like it.

In some cases if you take certain things on you will be left with that responsibility.

My setting has varying ages. I give the youngest one to one when the others are at school. After school I share mayself with everyone smile. When I finish about six or later, my own kids need me too.

Homework may need to be done in the evening or at the weekend by parents who are working. Not saying its easy to do this but that may have to be done.

I know I will get someone to agree with me..... cms have a lot of responsibity placed on them Not just caring for the kids but PAPERWORK TOO.

NEVER A DULL MOMENT !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now