This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Tips on what you do for potty training - thanks

(25 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Fri 16-Nov-12 13:45:51

Potty training a 3 year old (on going) not complaining just asking for some advice.

I use the potty but would prefer to use the toilet with safety seat on it. What are you using or do you find out what parents want?

Who does the wiping afterwards (sorry for asking) is a three year suppose to do it themselves (after no 2)?

Have you ever used dry like me before? or do you just put little one in pants

Any tips welcomed.

I have kids of my own but I did it my way.

HSMM Fri 16-Nov-12 14:36:00

I use the potty or toilet with no seat insert, depending on the child.

They wipe, I 'check' if they are not very good at it.

They generally go straight into pants, with occasional pull ups over the pants, for long car journeys etc.

LoveDogs Fri 16-Nov-12 15:44:39

I work in a nursery school and parents generally bring a potty in with them, but we tend to use a toilet with a safety seat, we only ever tend to use the potty if they are unhappy to use the toilet.

We also wipe afterwards because we tend to find they don't, some of them can do it themselves, it depends on the child.

forevergreek Fri 16-Nov-12 17:17:58

Toilet withs seat. Never used a potty, I find them unhygienic and you have the then reteach using a toilet after instead o straight away.

Use pants straight away also

MUM2BLESS Fri 16-Nov-12 19:40:46

I think I will start using the toilet with the seat as I am not keen on cleaning the potty afterwards (sorry!!)

would you use pants if the little one is still doing a wee in the pull ups? What about spillages on the floor? Any tips.

I think I need to find out what is happening re potty training at home.

More tips welcomed.....

HSMM Fri 16-Nov-12 19:44:33

They're much better in pants than pull ups. Keep towels and disinfectant in the play room to play down accidents.

MUM2BLESS Fri 16-Nov-12 20:10:37

Thank you.

HSMM Fri 16-Nov-12 20:39:32

And ... if you think they're not ready ... say so. Potty training should not involve loads of accidents.

Toilet with seat. Right into pants, with a bed mat for nap times / long car journeys.

Also, read Princess Polly's Potty / Pirate Pete's Potty (depending on gender) regularly 5 times a day

Most of all, wait until the child is ready, DD was trained in 4 days (wee's and poo's)

LoveDogs Fri 16-Nov-12 20:53:29

In the 5 and 1/2 years I've worked in the nursery we've used a potty for 1 child because the child had a melt down over sitting on the toilet, most of the children go straight into pants, we find if their in pull ups their not bothered if they wet them, whereas if they wet their pants they don't like the feeling which makes them learn quicker.

Iggly Fri 16-Nov-12 20:58:34

My ds uses a potty as better for him poo wise. I wipe him - he's too young to do it himself properly (he does try though).

TwoKidsAndCounting Fri 16-Nov-12 21:07:11

Always have a potty lying around as this teaches the younger children very early on and before its even time to potty train. They usually want to use the toilet pretty quickly after training to be big boy or girl!

And straight into pants once they use the potty just once! No more nappies after that, no going back, only forwards.

However, bedtime does take a little while longer, I'd give them 3 months max with pull-ups then bed mats after that!

HSMM Fri 16-Nov-12 21:18:12

Agree with toilet asap, but some children are scared of the toilet. If using pull ups (as I do occasionally) I always have the pants inside, so the child feels the difference to a nappy. Works well for me over 13 yrs.

MUM2BLESS Sat 17-Nov-12 22:11:51

Just purchased a safety seat for the toilet, will use if on Monday.

How do you cover flooring from spillages. Had to get rid of carpet in main room as not the best covering when you have children. (all types of spillages over the years).

Pull ups can make a child kinna lazy. Pants maybe best.

SuiGeneris Sun 18-Nov-12 15:54:46

Potty, loo with seat and loo without seat, depending on where we are and what DS prefers.
Started with training pants (jersey with small absorbent layer) then moved to "dry like me" and normal pants for 2-3 weeks, then normal pants only. And an adult always does the wiping.

nannynick Sun 18-Nov-12 16:26:38

Spillages happen, don't bother covering just have a ready supply of absorbent kitchen roll available in every room.

Children I have cared for have gone from nappy to pants. Several changes of clothes needed each day sometimes but that's the way it goes at first.

A child I care for who has just started potty training seems happiest perching on an adult sized loo, though sometimes uses the child seat when at home.

MUM2BLESS Mon 19-Nov-12 13:03:54

Used the safety seat today. All is going well. Will work with mum to take it to the next satge.

Really really appreciate your time and support smile

Welovecouscous Mon 19-Nov-12 13:14:10

When is it best to start?

MUM2BLESS Mon 19-Nov-12 13:20:11

Each child is different. Parents and cm will need to decide together. Some are ready earlier than some. Girls generally make start earlier.

18 months plus???? earlier? or later??

Welovecouscous Mon 19-Nov-12 13:47:40

Mine is 16 months and I don't think he's ready but wondering how I will know? Thank you for this thread - really interesting to read.

forevergreek Mon 19-Nov-12 14:19:57

Wellovecouscous- I usually start at 2 years. Once they can tell you they need to go has been the key here ( 18month old here doesn't talk yet so wouldn't start yet)

HSMM Mon 19-Nov-12 14:30:48

I have had a couple at around 18 months, a couple around 4 yrs, but mostly between 2 and 3 yrs old. If a child is ready, it takes a couple of days.

MUM2BLESS Tue 20-Nov-12 14:20:27

All going well with toilet training today!!

surfandturf Tue 20-Nov-12 19:38:03

I helped potty train one of my little ones over the summer. We started in July and it took till September to finally crack it. I personally didn't feel he was ready in July but Mum wanted to get it 'over and done with'.

I would prompt regularly and agree with going straight into pants and on the big toilet with or without a little seat. I also had a potty in the room we were playing in as my toilet isn't accessible without assistance and I found that he would just go on the potty without any prompting occasionally. It helps if you ask parents to dress them in loose fitting, elasticated trousers so that they can pull them up and down easily.

After lots of ups and downs, lots of cleaning puddles on the carpet, lots of tears from mindee and mum and heaps and heaps of praise we eventually got there! Got 2 more to start potty training after Christmas!

MUM2BLESS Wed 21-Nov-12 13:44:45

Thanks everyone.

Still going good grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now