This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder sickness - late notice

(7 Posts)
nameychangeyfirsttime Thu 15-Nov-12 20:45:10

Ok so use a childminder 2 days a week she works mostly on her own and sometimes with husband he is registered as her assistant, last week we turn up for one of little ones days and husband answers and says she is unwell she is there and unwell but not contagious and he will have care of the 2 children for that day and she will be around - day before she had seen gp then been in bed - I didnt mind he had the children but would have been nice to know in advance the situation rather than at 7,30am when not alot I can do about it and unsure whether he should have the children whilst she is in bed.

Anyway come this week due in for first session and I had to leave early as had a long journey so husband was dropping off (he equally has a 1hr 15mins journey) but my day started earlier and same time distance (normally I am 20mins away) anyway my phone starts ringing in car at 7.25am I hadnt turned bluetooth on so didnt answer it rang a few times so I pulled over at 7.33am saw it was childminder so rang and husband answered and said she had intended to work but actually was too ill so I said who has my child (obv my main concern) and he said oh your husband has him so I said thanks and bye.

Then rang husband who had to organise having a day off I was a good 45mins into my journey by this point. He had arrived there at 7,30am and been turned away at the door they did apolgise loads apparently.

Have since had a text saying sorry about that day and she is ok now and back working.

Anyway husband is more laid back than me and says oh well cant be helped

I say I dont have an issue she was ill everyone gets ill and thats part and parcel of having a childminder but the not letting us know last week that asisstant was having main care of children until we turned up and then only trying to contact 5mins before start time earlier this week is not good - surely knew at 6.30am at latest when got up to get ready and couldnt, I wouldnt have minded a text in middle of night as would have found it at 6am.

or am I just being a complete B1tch about it all ???

looneytune Thu 15-Nov-12 21:36:52

I don't think you're being a bitch at all. I've texted people at 5 in the morning before when I felt it was too early to call but wanted them to know as soon as they got up. The only last minute one in 7 and half years was earlier this year when ds2 threw up around the time mindees would start arriving. I was comforting, clearing up and typing a text to parents all at once then was going to phone each individually. Unfortunately one parent arrived on the drive as I was pressing send and I ran out to save them getting out of the car (ds2 then followed me and threw up on the neighbours drive!). Anyway, I definitely think finding out when you arrive to drop off isn't on, unless they've suddenly throw up or passed out just moments before (but as this was more than once, I'm presumming not)

minderjinx Fri 16-Nov-12 13:03:40

Without knowing what was wrong with your CM it's hard to say whether her behaviour was reasonable on the second occasion. Trying to go back to work too soon could be bad judgement or overeagerness to please. But if she did feel okay when she got up and then had sudden severe pain or felt faint or something it's hard to see what else she could do but call you.

My husband also acts as my assistant and all my families are content that he would take over in a crisis (such as if I were taken suddenly ill or had to take one of the children to A&E), but I wouldn't assume they would be happy for him to take care of the children all day. FWIW a while ago I did have to have a minor op (at 7am!) at a few days notice and my parents were fine with DH having the children single handed for an hour or so and then me being there but supervising from the sofa for the rest of the day, and appreciated of the fact that we managed to avoid closing.

MUM2BLESS Fri 16-Nov-12 13:14:48

So sorry this happened. Notice really should have been given to you, even if its just a quick call.

I have not been in the situation where I have been off sick and unable to work. If however for whatever reason I could not work I would let my parents know asap.

Without know all the info its hard to say why this approach was taken. I trust it does not happen again.

forevergreek Fri 16-Nov-12 17:23:25

It's difficult as its early and I'm sure sometimes they aren't sure when to contact. As a nanny I was I'll a few weeks ago ( vomitting bug), it didn't start until midnight and I texted employers at 6am to say I couldn't make it, but seeing that I start at 7am they still didn't have much notice really ( but I know they sleep earlier than midnight and aren't usually up until after I arrive, so wasn't much I could do

Maybe let her know that you are happy to be txted any time through the night for example to be informed of future closure

RandomMess Fri 16-Nov-12 17:26:29

Tough one, my CM didn't like letting us down so would work when unwell and only cancelled when desperate, once she'd already started the day but got increasing unwell and had to get parents to collect.

thebody Fri 16-Nov-12 18:06:43

Most cms work when almost dead on their feet( I did) as hated to let parents down.

You are not at all a bitch, I would always assume that parents of young kids are usually up by 6am so in the event if sickness I would have phones then or if you are really rough the night before do parents can arrange cover.

I think it's a lack of communication here, yes she should have perhaps let u know that her dh was in charge of kids but then again if you knew he was registered as her assistant then she might have not thought it necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now