Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

CM's back- up care – do parents always get to meet them first?

(6 Posts)
Lexiesgirl Thu 15-Nov-12 12:09:19

I'm just curious really how CMs generally work this. Due to our CM needing to be off tomorrow, she has arranged for another CM to look after DD. We're happy with this as I can see this other CM is on our local council lists and is a registered CM, and DD apparently knows her from toddler groups etc., but because it is short notice we aren't able to meet the other CM first. Do other CMs try to get parents to meet their back-up carers first? Have other parents been happy leaving their child with a carer they haven't met before?

HSMM Thu 15-Nov-12 12:47:46

I have needed to use my backup carer. Parents didn't meet them first, but the children did. I chose someone I trust and the parents trusted my judgement. Everyone was very happy.

I don't provide back up care. I give parents details of the other childminders whom the children know well and it would be up to them to contact them and arrange back up care. So if it was last minute eg for sickness or something, then it would be unlikely that parents will have met them.

lisa1968 Thu 15-Nov-12 19:54:51

My back up minder is a very very good minder friend who i walk to and from school with.All the children know her,and have done for a long time.The parents know that i wouldn't recommend anyone who I wasn't absolutely sure about and they trust my judgement completely.

lechatnoir Thu 15-Nov-12 21:14:15

I have 2 back-ups & none of my parents have met them & I doubt ever would but both are good friends, registered CM's and I would happily leave my own kids with them (which is the main test IMO!). When DS1 went to a CM I remember the first time he went to the back-up carer I was quite anxious as I didn't know her from adam but I trusted my cm & she knew my son so it was fine. She was so sweet & sent me a couple of reassuring texts during the day which I thought was a nice touch

Lexiesgirl Thu 15-Nov-12 22:12:42

Yes, lechat, that's it - I completely trust my CM and know she wouldn't let anyone she didn't know, like and trust look after the children but it does feel ever so slightly odd not knowing the person!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now