Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Cost idea please (in Surrey)

(13 Posts)
bangersmashandbeans Sat 17-Nov-12 09:26:51

Thanks fallingsun, looks like nearer the time I'll have to do lots of shopping around. Or start buying lottery tickets! Childcare in this country is a joke!

fallingsun Sat 17-Nov-12 07:44:27

Re the hours, I'm in Surrey and have visited lots of cms recently, most started before 8, lots being 730 or even 7, so I don't imagine that to be a problem. None of the ones I visited charged any extra for the earlier hours. Sounds like it varies by area though....

BlingBubbles Fri 16-Nov-12 18:25:18

I am close to Sutton and u pay £5ph including all meals. Not sure about sibling discount. Good luck

ReetPetit Fri 16-Nov-12 18:22:35

i am in north london but i think it is unlikely you will get a sibling discount (still taking up 2 spaces) and also if you need care from 7am you are going to be very limited in finding a cm who starts so early. if you do find one, be prepared to pay double time x 2 for that 60/90 minutes until normal working hours start...

you would probably be better off with a nanny,i think?

bangersmashandbeans Fri 16-Nov-12 18:02:21

Thanks everyone. In a nutshell it's looking bloomin' expensive and is helping me build my rationale to take a career break when baby number two arrives!

fallingsun Fri 16-Nov-12 17:59:10

I pay £6.50ph in Surrey, not sure about sibling costs though...

DIYapprentice Fri 16-Nov-12 17:11:12

Just outside the M25 and we paid £6 per hour. No reduction in fee for second child. Not all CMs will do a 7 am drop off though. You may need to pay a little bit more for that.

bangersmashandbeans Wed 14-Nov-12 20:10:57

Never heard of nanny share but sounds like a sensible idea. Guess I'm probably looking at £250-300 a week for a childminder to have both of them?

Near Guildford I pay £5/hr for my childminder but that does not include any entrance fees or food.

EBDTeacher Wed 14-Nov-12 19:59:36

It might be cheaper to go into a nanny share? There is a website- I think it's nannyshare.co.uk- where you can advertise to share and look at people advertising. There seem to be a lot of folk on there (in my Bucks anyway, I'm sure Surrey is the same).

bangersmashandbeans Wed 14-Nov-12 19:51:47

Thank you. Do you think they charge the same per child? It's suddenly looking very expensive if that's the case!!

HMTheQueen Wed 14-Nov-12 19:41:21

I was in Kingston and paid £6.50 per hour for my fabulous childminder. She provided all meals and paid for play groups. She also washed all of DS's reusable nappies (with her son's) so I didn't have extra costs for nappies.

HTH

bangersmashandbeans Wed 14-Nov-12 19:25:46

Hi. I am trying work out what I will need to earn when I go back to work to make it worth my while so was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of cost for a childminder to do the following:
For three days a week have a year old and a 3 year old from 7am, pre-school drop off and pick up for the older one (9-12) until about 5.30 inc 3 meals for both of them.
I've been lucky enough to have my sister do my childcare so have paid very little and would like to know what sort of money I'll be looking at with the change in circumstances.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now