Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Has anyone seen this article?

(25 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Wed 14-Nov-12 12:41:29

Does this need to be paid back?

http://www.parenta.com/2012/11/14/500-grants-start-childcare-businesses/

What are your views?

how do you get a link to this?

MUM2BLESS Wed 14-Nov-12 12:44:33

Excuse me ,still getting my head around technology smile

nannynick Wed 14-Nov-12 13:17:06

It says it is a grant, not a loan so to me that means it is not repayable. No detail on criteria for getting the grant, expect that will come nearer the time.

A nursery costs more to setup yet same grant amount.

Italiana Wed 14-Nov-12 13:21:29

I cannot open the link but does it refer to the 2m grant announced by Maria Miller for c/ms and nurseries?

nannynick Wed 14-Nov-12 13:30:33

Yes that's the one. Know anything about it other than it being a £500 grant. I wonder what the criteria to get the funding will be.

MUM2BLESS Wed 14-Nov-12 13:49:17

Thanks everyone.

Italiana Wed 14-Nov-12 14:01:39

Here is the link...been in the news since yesterday and another flawed grant
going nowhere it will reach providers
www.bbc.co.uk/.../uk-20321063

Italiana Wed 14-Nov-12 14:04:19

Ok try this one

www.nurseryworld.co.uk/.../Equalities-minister-announce-2m-start-up-grant-childminders-nurseries

also see PLA response...brilliant while nCMA thinks it's great..probably because they will apply for it

www.pre-school.org.uk/.../alliance-responds-to-government-s-2m-childcare-grant-scheme

nannynick Wed 14-Nov-12 21:22:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Italiana Wed 14-Nov-12 21:32:57

Nannynick... I am not 'illiterate' as you so wrongly assume... just not a geek!!!
What a sweeping prejudiced statement is 'it is pointless' and then proceed to enlighten me? so thank you for the help

I click on the link below to convert the links so don't blame me or my computer as I do have the latest technology and post links in many other places without a problem!!
When I get 5 minutes from my many other interests I will try a bit of IT

nannynick Wed 14-Nov-12 21:45:26

I have requested my post to be deleted and in future I will not repost working links for the links that don't work.

Italiana Wed 14-Nov-12 21:54:49

That is your choice and I respect it but try to address people's shrtcomings in a less hurtful way....we are talking about a link not the end of the world and i have explained what I do (wrongly) and will do to get it right in future

HSMM Wed 14-Nov-12 21:56:46

Don't fight guys ... we're all trying to find out the same info.

And thanks for all of it ... something to read tomorrow.

Nick ... I've got dots ... is that ok? grin

Italiana Wed 14-Nov-12 22:18:54

The ...bits is something we had to do in essays at uni (when quoting bits from authors) and somehow I can't get out of the habit of doing it...annoying I know...there I have done it again
Sorry!!!

grendel Wed 14-Nov-12 22:20:31

Here's the original press release in case anyone's interested:

www.culture.gov.uk/news/media_releases/9518.aspx

Although it doesn't have much more info than the various news articles.

Yes, it would indeed be very interesting to see the eligibility criteria. Is it only for early years settings, or for those on the Compulsory Childcare Register too? Can you only claim it if you haven't actually started trading yet, or will it be available to those who have very recently opened too? How quickly will the money be paid out? And how much of that £2m fund will in fact be paid to this as yet unnamed third party who will be contracted to actually deliver the funding?

fraktion Wed 14-Nov-12 22:23:08

Nick said you were not very IT literate, not illiterate, italiana - you yourself have said several times you can get links to work. My mother struggles with links but she can use a computer perfectly well to do most things and that doesn't really impact on any other part of her life or her intelligence. They're tricksy little beasties. The... in links will mess with directing it, that's all. Nothing to do with ellipses in quotes.

HSMM Wed 14-Nov-12 22:26:59

Thanks Fraktion ellipses was the word I was looking for

nannynick Wed 14-Nov-12 22:43:04

So from the press release, it's £250 for a childminder, £500 for settings providing more than 6 childcare places - is that how you read it?

"£250 would in many cases cover the training, liability insurance, adaption to premises costs for a child minder."
- no mention of Ofsted registration fee
- wonder if they mean initial training, or a level 3 course?

GrimAndHumourless Wed 14-Nov-12 22:56:08

hmm my level three was part-funded a few years ago, I couldn't have afforded to do it had I had to pay (IIRC it was many hundreds of £££) so I am imagining initial training only

Welovecouscous Wed 14-Nov-12 22:58:33

Italiana, Nick was only trying to help.

fraktion Wed 14-Nov-12 23:51:43

Cypop5 is nearly £200 with NCMA so no way would that grant cover anything beyond initial training and maybe not even that if you consider paeds first aid as part of it.

Italiana Thu 15-Nov-12 08:38:15

Thank you I do understand.
I would like to state that I use this forum because I find it useful and some comments are professional, some c/ms here very well informed and they offer good peer support, very much lacking across the c/minding workforce...it is hard to get used to different ways of posting/linking etc and I have not got the time. I will avoid putting links here and not frustrate anybody

My view on the 2m offered is that it will get lost in the system and because it will go to LAs or Associations no one will ever be accountable for it

I would instead use it to make sure all nannies were registered and on top of the First Aid they also were funded to do Child Protection and EYFS etc etc so they would basically be the same as other providers in terms of accessing training
I maybe wrong on some things but I go from what nannies have told me and as a c/m I share the care of two children with a nanny

ZuleikaD Thu 15-Nov-12 09:20:07

Italiana I'm sure everyone appreciates your thoughtfulness in posting links - but do you retype them? Is that where the ... comes from? Nick is right about just highlighting, copying and pasting - it would save you lots of time too as it's simply a few keystrokes. I agree Nick could have been less patronising (and I'm not sure what IT literature is... grin).

Italiana Thu 15-Nov-12 09:32:04

Thank you ZuleikaD I do copy and paste all the time as I do in other fora. Check NCMA Local it is full of links from me and no problem there
No way I add ... to a link. Something went wrong and I will look into it

MUM2BLESS Thu 15-Nov-12 11:06:54

Sorry this has caused some problems. blush

I really do appreciate you all assisting me. I messed up the link in the first place but I thank you all for coming to my aid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now