This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Becoming a childminder?

(11 Posts)
aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 14-Nov-12 11:19:49

Im currently on maternity leave and I cannot believe how much I love it and how much it has genuinely changed my life.
I'm now seriously considering becoming a childminder as it feels like I've had a lightbulb moment of 'why didn't I think of this before?!'
If anyone wants to share any advice, hints and tips, their success or any problems they've had id be very grateful.
I'm currently searching the web for advice about getting started- please tell me it's not as complicated as it seems!
TIA

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 14-Nov-12 11:19:58

Buffty Wed 14-Nov-12 14:32:31

I'm also on maternity leave and considering becoming a Childminder. I've contacted my LA who have sent me an email explaining how to go about registering etc. I'm currently in the process of carrying out my market research. I've produced a questionnaire to give out to potential customers and am going to start phoning round local Childminders this afternoon. How are you getting on?

squinker45 Wed 14-Nov-12 14:53:34

Hello Buffty. Can I ask what you are phoning local childminders to find out?

squinker45 Wed 14-Nov-12 14:55:15

I love your enthusiasm, aimingtobe...I hope it all goes well for you smile

lechatnoir Wed 14-Nov-12 15:02:22

If you do go for it, I would advise starting NOW as it it took me 4 months to get registered which I gather is quite quick plus another couple of months to get children on board.

Flisspaps Wed 14-Nov-12 15:05:40

Buff, all the info you'll need will probably be on childcare.co.uk grin

aimingtobeaperfectionist Wed 14-Nov-12 17:23:21

Thank you for the replies and the advice about starting sooner rather than later!
Something's just 'clicked' and feels right so I think that's where the enthusiasm has come from. I'm still at square one really, I need to find out loads more info and get started on the road to registering.
I've been working in sales and direct contact with people for years now and I've jus had enough. Having a baby has made me really think about what I want and what I do and don't enjoy and I've not really enjoyed my job for a long time. I guess this is the push I needed to have a change!

Buffty Wed 14-Nov-12 20:08:42

Just to see if they've got many vacancies Squinker, so I can see if it's worthwhile pursuing.

I have had a sneaky look at childcare.co.uk Flisspaps grin

calmlychaotic Wed 14-Nov-12 20:17:53

I have been told by several local childminders that there is no work and they are thinking of closing and all doom and gloom but i am turning people away, i advertise and trawl chilcare.co.uk a lot though. so i woudnt pay too much attention to what local childminders say. I thought about doing it during my maernity leave but bottled out and went back to work only to be made redundant a year later and have no income for 6 months while i registered and advertised. Even if you only take on one mindee whle your own child is small to keep you going, or do what i have done and take on 10 and an assistant. I love it, wish i had started sooner.

bidego Thu 15-Nov-12 13:05:06

Hi, I am also looking at becoming a childminder and I was wondering if anyone who has done this already could tell what set-up costs are involved, I am going to attend a Childminder pre-registration briefing with my local authority in the first instance but it would be good to get some insight into costs. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now