Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

nvq compulsary?

(9 Posts)
GrimAndHumourless Sat 17-Nov-12 20:41:37

good point frak

fraktion Sat 17-Nov-12 20:38:34

The benefit of increased knowledge aside the principle reason to take up training is the transferability of a l3+ qualification. Very few CMs contine for years and many shift sideways and stay within childcare or education. Unfortunately all those years of experience count for very little without paper to back it up as far as prospective employers are concerned. Hard as it may be to balance study, family and running a CMing business it will be harder to get in the course and find a practical placement after giving up.

GrimAndHumourless Sat 17-Nov-12 15:15:48

Akasa I did level 3 cache a while back and it was so so interesting, I thoroughly enjoyed it (though studying, working full time, family life was HARD)

It has had a really positive effect on my setting

Akasa Sat 17-Nov-12 15:06:57

I believe it serves little purpose - not having it has never as far as I am aware, got in the way of attracting business and I remain "full" and always have been (15 years+). I have never had a prospective parent enquire about the qualification but they do want to know the important things like paediatric first aid courses. It would not enable me to charge an increased price so I am yet to be convinced about the plus points.

squinker45 Sat 17-Nov-12 14:37:39

If they want everyone to be qualified, are they going to start funding it again? That's the only reason I'm not doing it.

calmlychaotic Sat 17-Nov-12 00:39:23

Thank you i have dropped out! Too much else going on. It was the training provider that told me that, of course they would! I was really not enjoying the course anyway. I'll wait and see what happens, appreciate your reply, hard to find facts.

Italiana Thu 15-Nov-12 09:46:26

If you look at the Nutbrown review on qualification the goal is now 2022 (page 6), while the previous govt wanted all qualified by 2015
Once again whoever has given you the advice is wrong..please tell me it is not your LA?
Take it easy and do it at your pace, get lots of support, qualifications will be important in whatever proposals come out soon especially for c/ms

mindingalongtime Wed 14-Nov-12 16:17:18

It is expected that registered childminders will need to be qualified to at least a Level 3 by 2015,I think that may apply to all childcarers, I need to look it up!

calmlychaotic Wed 14-Nov-12 00:07:59

I am about 2 months into nvq level 3, i have told them i wish to drop out, various reasons no time being main one. They told me it is compulsory and all childminders have to have it in place or be working towards it by the end of next year. Ofsted just said its good practise. Does anyone know what the truth is. I do plan on doing just not right now if i can avoid it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now