Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nannies choosing holiday - quick Q

(18 Posts)
AprilfoolN1 Tue 13-Nov-12 21:56:42

Hi Mumsnetters

So, I know the common deal is 4 weeks holiday for nanny, with two of her choice and this is what I have done with my nanny previously.

This year, my youngest starts nursery which will mean that term time holidays will be rather a shame for me as I will be taking time off work while my DCs are out at school and nursery.

Are you crazy, go and get your hair/nails done/catch up with friends etc I hear you say! But I work full time so my holidays are the only and little precious time I get with the DCs all year and I feel very reluctant to have to work during their school holidays and then be home alone during term time to cover the nanny's holiday.

So I am thinking this must be a common problem for others and I am interested in what you do.

Does anyone have a 'no term time holiday' arrangement?

I actually get 6 weeks hols per year and I am thinking of telling the nanny she can have the lot paid so long as they are taken in the school holidays. Is this what others do or would that be too generous?

btw - it's a new nanny starting, hence I have a chance to address this issue.

Any comments welcome! Thanks!

Spockster Tue 13-Nov-12 22:20:38

Why not Give her 5 weeks, and specify that any periods of leave more than 1 day must be taken in school holidays. That way she can have the odd day, and you will still have a week extra to cover odd days. We did 3 chosen by us and 2 chosen by the nanny, and she agreed informally not to take holiday in term time but that has been forgotten over the years... But we love her so we try to accommodate as much as we can. If you are going to end up giving her 6 weeks off in any case, you may as well make her feel like she has a good deal from the start...

andagain Tue 13-Nov-12 22:42:03

I think it is fine to request she takes her holidays during school holidays, but I think you might have to sweeten it by offering 5-6 weeks of holiday per year.

We did that with our nanny and are doing the same with our au pair. They were all more than happy to agree. We give 7 weeks paid holiday plus bank holidays per year but we choose all of them. Obviously if they need a day here or there we accommodate it.

I think it is fine as long as you offer a bit extra.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 13-Nov-12 23:23:30

Many nannies will agree to this but also many won't - myself included

Reasons

to go away in school holidays costs a fortune so I prefer to go away may/June and sept/oct

As much as I love children, when on holiday I don't want lots of screaming children throwing sand near me grin so prefer to go when most are at school

Maybe you can work from Home or get dad to take to school and you go to work early and then pick up from school/arrange tea date I the nanny goes away

mogandme Wed 14-Nov-12 07:10:28

You can ask but for the reasons Blondes gives I would probably say no. I get 5 weeks in my contract and choose 2 weeks this can be term time but I am also given most school hols off so can't chose the week right before the 6 week hols :-)

mogandme Wed 14-Nov-12 07:11:15

Agree though about tea dates even asking if a nanny friend will have them.

C0smos Wed 14-Nov-12 07:15:12

Stupid question but if your kids are at school why do you need to take the day off work, can you go in the office for most of the day and then do a couple of hours extra in the evening, or at most take a half day leave.

Spockster Wed 14-Nov-12 13:00:26

The whole point if having a nanny is to care for your children when you are not available.. And, for me, to avoid all that juggling. Teachers can't take holiday in term time, and frankly I think it is a cost of working in childcare, unless you are very lucky and your employers can be more flexible. I am sue you will find a great nanny that you can reach an agreement with. For what it's worth I would lay down the ground rules upfront. and be prepared to be more flexible as time goes on if you find a good nanny.

She might say yes, I have had a similar agreement in a previous job and would be perfectly happy to agree to it again!

mogandme Thu 15-Nov-12 07:17:10

I don't think its the cost of working in child care. I think its only fair candies get to choose 2 weeks of holiday - in this case the boss has a further 4 weeks left to spend with the children and as others have said in fact doesn't have to use 2 weeks holiday if she juggles reciprocal after school playdates.

Strix Thu 15-Nov-12 10:00:47

I think it is fine to ask nanny to take his/her holidays in term time. I usually sit down with mine at the start of the 12 month contract and agree them for the year. If she has a particular need to take holidays during term time, I am flexible. But we start from the point of us both taking holidays when the other can, and not when the other one has to pick up the school run. She has no contractual right to choose two weeks. We just agree them.

I have had nannies who requested holiday in term time because they had good frineds getting married or similar occassion they really couldn't move. That's fine. DH and I covered. I have also had nannies request holiday in term time because is suited current boyfriend's preferred work schedule, and I decided that my work didn't take a back seat to his and declined the request.

I would put it forward and see what she says. Perhaps ask if there are now any dates she particularly wants. Maybe her birthday falls in term time and she wants a long weekend or something. I would be quite happy with that. I would not be happy with two weeks notice that she's off for a week because she declares she has a contractual righ tto do so.

BardOfBarking Thu 15-Nov-12 10:07:06

My nanny agreed to no holidays in term time as I am a teacher and cannot take time off to cover him.

picturesinthefirelight Thu 15-Nov-12 10:24:56

I know a few teachers who have a no term time holiday policy.

HolyBrrrrrrBatman Thu 15-Nov-12 10:53:06

I think asking her to take holiday in the school holidays is reasonable. It will put some nannies off for the reasons blondes listed. For me, it would definitely be a negative of the job, but not a deal breaker, I would accept it if the job were otherwise good.

In my current job we split the holiday choice 50/50 and I often take mine in term time. The DC's parents take time off to cover me.

Do you work full time? If so, it may be nice for you and the children for you to do the drop off/pick up, take them to after-school activities etc. It gives the children a chance to show you what they do with nanny. I know this is how my DC's parents look at it. They don't normally go to the school so it's a good chance to meet other parents, see the teacher, see the DC's friends/people they talk about etc. Maybe look at it like that rather than they're at school and you're wasting your holiday time.

Also, if the youngest is only at nursery (I assume half day) then it will really only be about 3 hours when you're child-free.

forevergreek Thu 15-Nov-12 10:59:01

I wouldnt agree to this.
Mainly for the reason blondes says, but also there are things I might want time off for which aren't in the holidays, such as a friends wedding ( obviously its when they decide), or a holiday with famit and friends would e unfair to make everyone pay double as its school holidays etc

eurycantha Fri 16-Nov-12 15:59:36

I always take my holiday in the school holiday which I don't mind doing perhaps if I wanted to go abroad it would be different as imore expensive during school holidays.

eurycantha Fri 16-Nov-12 16:00:48

My bosses do give me any days off paid for weddings funerals etc.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 16-Nov-12 16:26:30

maybe if my boss wanted to pay the difference between going in august and 2nd week of september which was £330 so £660 for dh and I) then happy to go in august grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now