Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Preschool learning Alliance (PLA) welcomes childminders

(24 Posts)
poopnscoop Mon 26-Nov-12 11:21:36

Until Ms Truss deems to share what her huge changes will entail and how they affect tens of thousands of small business owners across the UK, I guess they cannot say too much.

I want an association that will fight for childminders to be heard, not only day nurseries/pre schools et al. Childminders are undervalued and overlooked. Thought to be 'under qualified babysitters' who don't know how to run their businesses. Which is totally untrue of course.

I run a thriving childminding business, have done so for years... my waiting list attests to the fact, as does my tax return. I don't need anyone telling me how to run it. I am also A LOT cheaper than the local nurseries so why we are being picked on ivo them trying to make childcare more affordable for parents is beyond me.

The NCMA sadly has done VERY little in our regard throughout the whole deregulation/uncertainty/agency-speak in my opinion. As a member of theirs for many years I have been saddened by their lack of interest. They obviously have an invested interest in Ms Truss' future plans eg agencies... and don't wish to ruffle feathers.

Italiana Mon 26-Nov-12 08:53:28

I found this discussion also going on in UK Childminding...it is good to read everyone's thoughts
At the moment we have:

NCMA with c/minding expertise opening the m'ship to pre-schools and day nurseries

PLA with pre-school expertise opening the m'ship to c/ms (it has been open to c/ms for a while though but PLA lacks an insurance package at present...we are told?)

NDNA with expertise in day nurseries opening their m'ship to no one

In addition PLA and NDNA are not rebranding while NCMA is...
What is going on in your view? especially now we know that an agency may be coming in some shape or form? (read Ofsted workshop feedback posted separately for more on this)

As is said previously I have spoken to the PLA CE before and I am due to speak to him again today for an update on his membership to c/ms

As far as I am concerned c/ms have the right to look for an association that 'represents them best' ...my question is whether moving from one to the other or being a member of both will help c/ms?

What sort of representation do c/ms want?

The answer will be out soon when E Truss announnces her proposals...in the meantime I feel a bit cross that both ssociations are being rather shy of telling us what the purpose of this is especially now we know an agency is coming but may not be compulsory?

I am sure this discussion will go on and on but interested in your thoughts...

Italiana Sat 24-Nov-12 11:18:17

PLACEY ????

Tanith Sat 24-Nov-12 10:50:19

NCMA and PLA have worked very closely together in the past. I wonder if eventually we'll see them amalgamate...

(That'll put the rumour mill into overdrive wink)

Italiana Fri 23-Nov-12 22:42:18

PLA have responded to NCMA opening their membership to other professionals but they were already welcoming c/ms before NCMA announced the name change
I am confused whether the insurance is a stambling block for PLA but I doubt it???
Their expertise is in pre schools and NCMA is in childminders...both have to come with good representation for the whole sector so it is obvious they are going to be competing for 'our businesses' in view of the fact that some kind of deregulation is coming
My personal view is that I wish they stayed with the group they can represent best and work together for the best interest of children and families not just looking at the commercial side of things...interesting times ahead

MUM2BLESS Fri 23-Nov-12 21:40:45

Yes it was from the PLA "I got my application pack today"

fraktion Fri 23-Nov-12 19:04:39

What do CMs expect from an organisation?

MM offer stand alone insurance so there has to be some kind of added value. Is it the representation angle?

I'm not doing market research, I don't work for the PLA grin I'm genuinely curious.

Tanith Fri 23-Nov-12 09:53:40

One of the things they can do right now is to add childminders to their childcare search website.
We've queried this before, and been told it's because our addresses weren't on OFSTED's website. Well, now they are!

I shall watch with interest: are they genuinely prepared to look out for our interests, or are they just fishing for new members?

Italiana Wed 21-Nov-12 21:56:31

I had my pack since July...same message!!!

It won't be difficult to get Morton Michel to do one for them as they also provide cover for UKCMA?
To me is more than just insurance ..is how they will represent us, time will tell as PLA and PACEY will be in competition to get members...with Social Enterprise coming they all will turn into agencies

Wish that Truss would hurry up and tell us what is in her plans then we could all get on and get our life back rather than worry what the future looks like
Tonight I heard it will be in December while on Saturday the message was her announcement could be a few months away!
I'll bet we will have a revised EYFS on the reformed EYFS 2012 in 6 months' time....

poopnscoop Tue 20-Nov-12 22:11:33

Mum, is that for the PLA?

Interested to see what they come up with for CMs... Insurance has to be there of course.

So many changes going on, when renewal time comes I will decide what to do.

MUM2BLESS Mon 19-Nov-12 13:24:06

I got my application pack today.

It states unfortunatley at this stage we are unable to provide insurance for childminders. However, we will contact you when this benefit becomes available.

I will be staying with M M for this present moment.

Italiana Wed 14-Nov-12 19:38:07

Popascoop Lets see what happens on Sat and c/ms' reaction...so far only here people have expressed their views, mostly against rebranding or wanting to go somewhere else...others seem to accept whatever comes

I also think PLA have to come up with something that draws c/ms to them and that they can put on the table for discussion.
I want to hear from them rather than just give them ideas...
I have been in many associations and none have done anything for me so, as said, at the moment I am just floating, NCMA for me is gone and I am happy to get on independently

poopnscoop Wed 14-Nov-12 18:07:04

Italiana... I'd be VERY interested in a meeting at the PLA Offices... please keep me informed?? If it has to be during the week (most likely), I can come on a Friday only though. He sounds like a nice bloke. Just needs some guidance.. and who better than us?

Italiana Wed 14-Nov-12 14:10:08

PLA represents preschools like NCMA represents c/ms...so they will lobby for us and offer training (lots of it for free) and insurance
Their m'ship has been opend to c/ms a while but they need to ensure they can represent us properly

It is a representing association and NDNA represent day nurseries

be clear Morton Michele is a company offering paperwork and insurance not an association with members...many confuse the two

MUM2BLESS Wed 14-Nov-12 13:59:40

Excuse me for asking will they do what NCMA and Moton Michel are doing or is it different?

Italiana Wed 14-Nov-12 13:07:33

I have spoken to Neil Leitch again this morning and he wants to meet with c/ms to understand how to best cater for us due to the fact PLA will concentrate on preschools but wishes to serve c/ms who join in the best way

I will try to arrange such a meeting and he has offered PLA offices for this

I now think that NCMA too has to say they will concentrate on c/ms, their area of expertise, and outline how they would serve preschools and nurseries

At the moment I am staying put but will make my decision to either jump ship or go it alone as an independent c/m which I hope means the DfE will have to include us in their discussions and not just PLA or NCMA

Italiana Tue 13-Nov-12 18:16:36

Yes but you would have thought they would be out there campaiging for c/ms to join...not a word
I also don't know how influential they would be in representing us???

fraktion Tue 13-Nov-12 18:12:56

What about UKCMA? I don't know much about them but they are focused on CMs.

Italiana Tue 13-Nov-12 17:41:29

I got news because as avolunteer we get it first...little did I know that members would not be informed somehow...unprofessional
C/ms are drifting now...stay in nCMA and get shared representation...go to PLA and share too

I have just spoken to Neil Leitch PLA CEO...he is honest...focus remains on preschools but they will represent c/ms as best they can

I like PLA but we need 'our own association', I like Neil as he talks sense.
Many will leave, I am sure, but not before we get answers as to how 1500 responses from a survey gave them a mandate to rebrand??

Mindingalongtime ncma announced the name on their ncma website last week and on their ncma local site. Italiana posted about the name change a few hours after it was announced.

I am not saying people can't leave just that I personally will not be jumping ship yet.

mindingalongtime Tue 13-Nov-12 17:16:13

lesbianmummy1 NCMA don't consider it necessary to inform their members of 26 years standing, of the change, I learned it on here.

I joined PLA 2 months ago as totally disenchanted with NCMA

Italiana Tue 13-Nov-12 16:49:05

Yes far too early and we still need some replies from NCMA but some c/ms are very cross so acting like this
I will be leaving NCMA eventually but not jumping on anyone's wagon as yet

The rebranding implementation is in 3 months time

Personally italiana I feel it is too early for people to vote with their feet. The new name was only announced last week and no further details have been announced yet. I for one will not be leaving ncma just yet.

Italiana Tue 13-Nov-12 14:31:16

It was on the cards that disappointed c/ms would flock somewhere else
PLA will try their best to represent us but c/ms are unique as is home based childcare...sad to be torn this way but many may just choose to be independent...
How do you feel?

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/rss/1159525/Pre-School-Learning-Alliance-open-its-doors-childminders/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now