This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

should my childminder have the baby for a day with white/yellow poo?

(18 Posts)
rocket100mum Mon 12-Nov-12 17:57:35

.....or would you say this is classed as diarrhoea....even though it is only happening once a day?

I have a doctors appointment for them on Wednesday (they are 1 year old twins with the same symptoms) But I just need them to go the the CM tomorrow.

But I do not believe this is diarrhoea as the frequency isnt there. (also although it is loose, it is not watery) Sorry for the descriptive nature of this post.

I would be so grateful for your thoughts,

Thanks

ReetPetit Mon 12-Nov-12 18:12:40

it's up to her. she might change their nappies and send them home after only one dirty nappy....

i wouldn't be happy personally and would probably call you after one, and ask you to collect after two.

depends on your childminder though.

if they both have it, they must have a bug. diarrhoea doesn't have to be constant, if it's loose, smelly and light coloured and they BOTH have it, then they have probably both picked up a bug. chances of it being anything else are slim.

the decent thing to do would be to tell her and see what she says = you will probably have to pick them up anyway and she will be really fed up if she realises you knew they had it and didn't tell her.

calmlychaotic Mon 12-Nov-12 21:45:37

please tell her, its awful when a bug goes round all mindees,me, my assistant, their siblings, their famlies, my family etc etc I know its inconvenient for you but i have just had a bug brought in by a parent who knew full well they had it and its really not fair. sorry rant over!

HSMM Mon 12-Nov-12 22:03:27

If they are not well or have unusual poo, resulting in the need for a doctors appointment, then you should not take them.

rocket100mum Mon 12-Nov-12 22:07:10

thanks, good advice. Good to get a feel for the other side of the coin. All food for thought. She knew because she saw the poo! I honestly thought it was just something they ate and that it would pass, by today.

There is a bigger story to this. I was due my first break for over a year this week. I took a week off work and kept my three (2x 1 year olds and 1x 2 year old) bubbas at the childminders for three days of the week still. And yes, you have guessed it, fate played its hand and gave me ill children. The universe took away the break that had been the only thing to keep me going over the past months.

I am struggling so much and now am I not only facing a break, I am facing a week of looking after poorly babies.

Thanks for your time, I'm new here, but I think i will be coming back soon.

ReetPetit Mon 12-Nov-12 22:08:12

it is the height of selfishness imo to bring a stomach bug into someone's home. it is an extremely unpleasant thing to have, and seeing as most of us have our own families and care for other people's children it really isn't very nice to do that to someone.

i had someone bring their child once knowing they had a bug and it wiped out my whole family for some time. my ds who was a young baby was actually hospitalised as a result. very unpleasant for us all and really sours the relationship between cm and parent as it shows a real lack of respect imo.

rant over!

ReetPetit Mon 12-Nov-12 22:13:13

x posts op

nailak Mon 12-Nov-12 22:14:23

when i went to the doc with a baby with white poo he laughed me out of the surgery and said it was fine....

rocket100mum Mon 12-Nov-12 22:40:48

thank you...this did make me laugh! Glad to not be told off by everyone. But I do see your points. Stomach bugs are a nasty business. But I must stress that apart from the colour of the poo, there is absolutely nothing wrong them! Appetite completely normal, colour in their cheeks. Just a bit unsettled to be honest. But this is what being a mum is all about, rough with the smooth and all that. I am getting so little sleep and even less support from DH. Just don't know how I can do another day of this.

minderjinx Tue 13-Nov-12 07:00:26

I feel for you RocketMum, but if they are poorly, it's not worth spoiling your relationship with their carer - best to get them to the doctor first, and make sure it's not something that will be passed on. Have a duvet day instead, turn up the heating, put on the TV, sleep while your little ones nap and do as little as you can possibly get away with - and tell DH to bring home a takeaway.

Trazzletoes Tue 13-Nov-12 07:12:19

Good to see you have a Drs appointment. White poo can sometimes indicate liver problems, but if they both have it that's pretty doubtful!!!

White poo can also come from an imbalance of bacteria in the gut due to a tummy bug so I agree with everyone else to keep them at home. I really feel for you though - children seem to have a 6th sense for when to get ill sad

bitsofmeworkjustfine Tue 13-Nov-12 09:15:27

white poo is also an indication of Ceoliac

rocket100mum Tue 13-Nov-12 13:05:07

That was a lovely post - thank you minderjinx, diplomatic and thoughtful. great plan and very helpful. However...their poo has returned to...well...poo colour! thank the lord!!!
Napping now....ahhhh bliss.

rocket100mum Tue 13-Nov-12 13:07:38

Oh and yes Trazzletoes...so true! Would you all believe it if I told you that my DD now has hand foot and mouth now too? IT IS TRUE!!!! Blisters this morning on the hands and feet and ulcerated mouth. Don't worry...they won't be going to the CM.

Stars22 Fri 16-Nov-12 20:13:09

as it was both of them at the same i would guess it was something they'd eaten to cause it, assuming they eat the same food. Twins i looked after had bright pink poo once, we managed to work out it was because they'd eaten jelly the day before but it was only one certain brand and flavour of jelly that did it.

Karoleann Fri 16-Nov-12 23:14:56

Its a post viral thing.... i will google it for you.

minderjinx Sat 17-Nov-12 07:26:44

Oh my - hand, foot & mouth! Hope you are all feeling better Rocketmum.

bamboostalks Sat 17-Nov-12 07:31:32

Poor you. Any way you can rebook your break. Sounds like you really need it. 3 under 2 is tough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now