Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Childcare over christmas

(20 Posts)
HSMM Mon 12-Nov-12 21:09:21

If it's in the contract, you (and your friend) should not have been taken by surprise. When you change to a new CM (and I am guessing you will), check you agree to all the contractual terms.

(As I said - I do not charge)

MrsLHofstadter Mon 12-Nov-12 20:52:10

chocraisin and Karoleann I see both arguments. I've worked for people and been self employed. When I worked for someone I got paid well for bank holidays but only if I worked them. As self employed now I would love for someone to pay me to sit at home with my family for 2 weeks at christmas. Just had a text from a friend saying she has been told the same as me by her childminder today.

Karoleann Mon 12-Nov-12 20:12:57

chocraisin that's because they are employed. CM are self employed. I think even one day of charging when you are not open is damn cheeky.

lechatnoir Mon 12-Nov-12 20:01:31

Christmas, Boxing Day & NY are the only 3 days I don't charge for - I charge full fee for all other public holidays (with half fee supplement payable if they want me) and full for for 4 weeks leave a year so from my POV you've got a good deal grin. The fact you aren't satisfied with your CM is almost certainly the reason those free days off are particularly hard to swallow - it's pretty rare to hear of people moaning about their CM taking pre-agreed leave if they are 100% happy in all other areas. Hope you find someone new soon.

GrimAndHumourless Mon 12-Nov-12 19:58:58

can we help you to pinpoint stuff that you could raise in an effective manner with her?

MrsLHofstadter Mon 12-Nov-12 19:49:39

My first childminder was amazing so I think I was spoiled a little but she gave it up to go get another job. If I could afford to have her as a nanny I would.

scarlettsmummy2 Mon 12-Nov-12 19:47:07

Mine doesn't charge. She also takes three weeks unpaid leave. She's so lovely and always full.

MrsLHofstadter Mon 12-Nov-12 19:43:01

I think it's just the fact I'm not totally happy with her anyway but struggling to find someone else, I'm not the only one either. Also slightly bitter I'm scrimping and saving to even be able to buy him Christmas presents, just ignore me. Thank you for all your responses.

NotAChocolateRaisin Mon 12-Nov-12 19:24:54

Think of it from the otherway round - do your employers pay you for bank holidays?

Most people get paid for their bank holidays, stands to reason that CMs should too...

Akasa Mon 12-Nov-12 19:08:59

As a childminder, I charge my normal rate on Bank Holidays but my contracts stipulate that service is not available. I know that people question how a charge can be levied when there is no service but it depends how you write your contracts - more and more C/Ms are contracting some paid leave - I personally don't but it is certainly a growing trend. In more than 10 years I have never once had a parent make a negative comment about paying for Bank Holidays if they fall on their contracted days

HSMM Mon 12-Nov-12 19:04:46

Lucky you're not paying full fees then! I don't charge, but many do and it should all be in your contract.

GrimAndHumourless Mon 12-Nov-12 19:03:55

So it's in your favour that half fees only for statutory hols, nice one, back of the net for you

wednesdaygirl Mon 12-Nov-12 18:57:32

Should read the small print wink

MrsLHofstadter Mon 12-Nov-12 18:43:06

It says statuary holidays are included in fees.

ZuleikaD Mon 12-Nov-12 18:08:59

I don't charge for bank holidays at all - what does your contract say about them?

MrsLHofstadter Mon 12-Nov-12 17:12:48

I've just said that to DM as XP is possibly working those days and it's his year to have DS.

Ragwort Mon 12-Nov-12 16:24:32

Call her bluff and tell her you'd like to send him on those days grin.

MrsLHofstadter Mon 12-Nov-12 16:22:38

Hmm I'll dig out my contract. We pay £35 a day which is about average for the area. He only goes 2 days a week which this year land on Christmas day and boxing day, I slightly resent paying it.

GrimAndHumourless Mon 12-Nov-12 16:15:43

all depends on your contract

some CMs do this, some don't but charge a higher hourly rate

swings and roundabouts really

MrsLHofstadter Mon 12-Nov-12 16:14:46

Just found out my childminder charges half fees over the christmas holidays despite the fact she is not working. Is this the norm?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now