This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CMs - How do you dispose of nappies/ clinical waste?

(14 Posts)
TheHamish Mon 12-Nov-12 09:32:21

I've always put them in my outside bin but at First Aid training at the weekend we were told we should be treating them as clinical waste and putting them in a yellow bin and paying the council to come and collect them.

Either that or send them home with the parents so they can put them in their own bins.

Anybody else heard of this? I have no idea where I'd put a clinical waste bin anyway - not prepared to have it in my house for up to two weeks at a time, can't have it in the garden as accessible to mindees and I'm certain I wouldn't be allowed to keep it in the street!

GrimAndHumourless Mon 12-Nov-12 10:38:57

nah I just bin 'em

ZuleikaD Mon 12-Nov-12 11:16:36

Bugger that, they go in the bin. What a ridiculous thing to be told!

wishiwasonholiday Mon 12-Nov-12 11:55:06

I just put them in the wheelie bin too but ds is in them too.

On our first aid they said we should carry around a litter picker and dispose of used needles we see in special tubes! We told them that was ridiculous but I would ring the council.

minderjinx Mon 12-Nov-12 12:40:21

There is no way I woulfd have nappy bags hanging around all day to go home with parents, or indeed hanging around a fortnight for the council to pick up. Mine go in the wheely bin (well wrapped) if we are in, or if we are out and about somewhere with nappy bins, such as soft play, I leave them there. I can't see that it makes any difference whether the nappies are my own children's or other people's, or are they suggesting anyone with a baby needs a yellow bin?.

ZuleikaD Mon 12-Nov-12 12:44:19

Our wheelie bin only gets done once a fortnight so when they go in there they're still going to be there for up to two weeks (nice in summer!).

Durab Mon 12-Nov-12 12:45:02

It's to do with it being commercial waste. You can take domestic garden waste to the tip for free, but someone running a gardening business has to should pay, it's the same thing.

GrimAndHumourless Mon 12-Nov-12 12:52:33

Ok Durab, I send mine home with the parents at the end of every day

wink

mindingalongtime Mon 12-Nov-12 13:12:05

Our council provide white sacks free of charge and we have to put them out once a fortnight separately to the wheelie bin, The lorry comes along and the men pock up the sack and sling it in with all the other rubbish confused

I don't mind as with 4 in nappies each day, they would fill my bin up very quickly, this way they don't take up my bin space allowance!

minderjinx Mon 12-Nov-12 13:12:48

It's not really the same thing - it makes absolutely no difference to the council whether they pick up the nappies at my house or in the next street at the parents' - but it would be much more unpleasant and unhygienic to keep them to send home. Anyway, the council's policy with regard to business waste is no concern of providers of First Aid training - they should be focusing on keeping children healthy.

HSMM Mon 12-Nov-12 13:14:41

The council doubt seem to have interfered in my business waste yet, despite having change of use planning permission on my house. I really don't need another bill to pay !

Durab Mon 12-Nov-12 13:24:03

Or if I take garden waste to the tip or my gardener does minder , but thems the rules. (I don't have a gardener, but ykwim)

The first aid course was aimed at childminders, so it is right for them to tell the OP the correct way to dispose of nappies and other clinical waste. I don't think for a minute that any childminders actually do it though.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Mon 12-Nov-12 13:27:19

i have a yellow bin free because we are a family of 5 with obr in nappies. each council ptobably sets its own rules. might be worth checking if you get one for free.

ReetPetit Mon 12-Nov-12 14:33:11

i flush solids down the toilet and then put nappies into nappies sacks. into my normal kitchen bin and take them out when i go out (they don't stay in the house for more than a couple of hours) if they are bad ones, they get bagged and put straight outside in my wheelie bin.

i bag up pooey clothes for parents but don't think it's right to send home actual pooey nappies - have never heard of this before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now