This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM's - Should I close tomorrow?

(23 Posts)
MaryPoppinsBag Tue 13-Nov-12 18:18:34

Thanks greenbananas we have enjoyed it.
And we got our house back to ourselves and got to play with new toys which would have been tricky with the mindees here.

Every cloud and all that!

I think you are right parents often send in their children back to school/ nursery before they should. And I think you'd be surprised at how many Nursery workers go in sick.

greenbananas Tue 13-Nov-12 18:01:58

sleepless my DS's preschool was closed yesterday because of a sickness bug sad Eight children were sick there last week, so they decided to shut their doors and do a deep clean, washing all the toys and dressing up clothes etc. We have kept DS away today as well because, although he has escaped so far, he goes down hard with sickness bugs and we don't want him to catch it (I am pregnant, due to give birth any day, and don't want him bringing those germs home to our family). I am guessing that some parents knew their children were poorly but sent them anyway angry

MaryPoppins I know it's hard to let parents down, and hard to lose the income, but you did the right thing in closing. So sad for your DS, being ill on his birthday - hope he feels better soon, and that he had a lovely birthday despite being poorly.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 13-Nov-12 16:50:44

Thanks LooneyTune
He's much better had the worst of it at the weekend and will be ok to go back to school 24hours after starting antibiotics, which according to the HPA means I can open too. Hooray!

I an very glad I closed, as Scarlet fever is a notifiable illness and I've informed Ofsted accordingly.

I did check with my parents that they had back up cover should they need it and most do. They prefer to pay for childcare rather than rely on relatives all the time.

Lots of child minders cover for each other in cases like this.

Luckily my parents are very understanding. And value the care I provide.

looneytune Tue 13-Nov-12 10:40:34

Oh no MaryPoppinsBag, poor thing, hope he is better soon! sad

FWIW, I was in agreement with pretty much everyone else. I've had to close too.

sleepless - it's not only our decision but environmental health would not be happy about us knowingly spreading germs and we could get into trouble for NOT closing if our DC is still in the house (and to be fair, there are not many who would want a child throwing up plus they would rather be at home with parents). Also, I'm pleased the nursery works for you but it's swings and roundabouts really. I have a mindee who came to me from a nursery and said their child was off sick every other week with something or other. Since being at mine they have hardly ever had to be off sick (over a year) and mum was delighted. There are more germs going round nurseries so although you may be lucky, some people aren't and would end up off MORE than with a CM because of that. This is not meant as a dig at nurseries AT ALL, I'm just highlighting that it's not always the case that the care is more reliable.

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 13-Nov-12 10:34:01

Well good job I did shut he has Scarlet Fever.

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 13-Nov-12 09:28:31

I'm sure you are right - it's one of the reasons why I weighed up the pros and cons of CM vs nursery and opted for nursery because nursery never closes and I work in a field where taking time off for childcare is very very difficult and possible for half a day for a sick child whilst I organise a grandparent/babysitter, not for when childcare lets you down

Panzee Mon 12-Nov-12 18:36:16

Sleepless I wouldn't send my child to a house where a bug was active. And it's hardly fair on the poorly child who probably just wants a cuddle with mummy. sad

MaryPoppinsBag Mon 12-Nov-12 17:26:17

No I can't. I am shut tomorrow too as he woke up and was sick first thing so he can't go to school tomorrow either.
He is fine now mind you.

But it's his birthday tomorrow and I'm damned if I'm palming him off on GP's for 11 hours on his bday - poor lad!

My parents all found cover.

I hate letting parents down just as I hate not being paid, but I'd rather do the right thing. I have lost half my wages this week by shutting 2 days.

ReetPetit Mon 12-Nov-12 17:12:52

with respect sleepless - do you not take time off when your child is ill???hmm

why is it that you think op should palm her sick child off on someone else (her child needs to be in his own home with his mum) do you not think as a self employed individual she is entitled to time off?

you would probably be the same parent who would moan when your child catches whatever her child has.

we childminders can't win hmm

sleeplessinderbyshire Mon 12-Nov-12 16:51:18

Can't you get someone else to look after your child and stay open as normal? Otherwise you have several parents unable to get to work, presumably you have a day unpaid as well. I don't use a CM so perhaps I am out of step here but I'd be realy peed off if someone wouldn't have my child in this situation (different if/when you are ill)

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 11-Nov-12 19:05:06

Sorted I am shutting!
A movie a duvet day with my gorgeous DS is worth £110 of anyone's money smile

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 11-Nov-12 18:31:38

I know and it is purely from the point of view of letting them down. My in laws would come and take my DS for the day too.

When DS was sent home from school before half term I rang them and said he's been sick at school. Can you come and get them?- the response was - I can't.

I said well as long as you know I would not put getting paid above your child's health!

ReetPetit Sun 11-Nov-12 18:25:45

op, although it's a pain for the parents if you are closed and also yuou won't get paid - you really have to do the decent thing and tell them your ds has been vomiting!! really unfair not to imo.
just text them all. if you still want to work, you can tell them you are available, and see what they want to do, but if it were me, i wouldn't expect to be paid for tomorrow if they decide not to bring their kids, as strictly speaking you are not/shouldn't be available to work.

Panzee Sun 11-Nov-12 18:19:43

School rule shouldn't really be 24 hours though. Not that many of our parents observe even that! smile

lechatnoir Sun 11-Nov-12 18:18:12

Assuming you wouldn't accept them if they are vomiting I think you at least have to call them & explain you son is ill, you will accept their child tomorrow but if they then get ill you would have to exclude them. I'd make it clear if they'd rather keep them off that's fine & CM sickness rules for payment would apply.

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 11-Nov-12 17:15:08

Eternal

My parents do have a robust view of the world and would be fine if he's OK tomorrow!

I wouldn't open of he was being sick but it is just the time span.

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 11-Nov-12 17:12:08

Apotomak
I know what vomiting is!

School rule is 24 hours though. Which would mean it'd be OK.

I was just trying to clarify what the official rules are in order to relay that to my parents.

EternalHope Sun 11-Nov-12 17:11:55

I think the OP meant the parents wouldn't mind if she cancelled (and not that they wouldn't mind the vomiting bug)...

I would ring and ask the parents what they want to do. If your DS is better and they have a robust view of the world then they might prefer you to be open. If they would be horrified then they can let you know that they won't be bringing Little Alfie tomorrow...

Flisspaps Sun 11-Nov-12 17:05:46

I'd close, it's only fair as I expect parents to observe the 48hr rule for their children.

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 11-Nov-12 17:04:05

No probs Grim!

I just know what they're like.
And I hate letting people down :-(

apotomak Sun 11-Nov-12 17:02:20

Are you kidding? Parents won't mind? Won't they mind when their child catches it? Vomiting is nasty ... not something I would like my children to have. Horrible tummy ache, cleaning sick from their bedding, clothes, furniture, floor? No thank you.
You must close and remain closed until you have 48 hours clear from the last episode.

GrimAndHumourless Sun 11-Nov-12 17:00:55

I wouldn't open, and would observe the 48 hour rule

I know you say your parents wouldn't mind BUT the children might take the virus to a vulnerable person, say a grandparent or baby cousin

Here's a reason why vomiting can be dangerous: spontaneous oesophageal rupture here High Mortality rate from this, I should know, it killed a close family member

Sorry for lecture m'dear

MaryPoppinsBag Sun 11-Nov-12 16:49:10

What do you do if your own DC is sick?

My DS has been vomiting today, what are the rules on CM opening with poorly children?

I know my parents won't be bothered. As when I contacted them partway through day when DS was sent home they all said it was ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now