This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

NCMA will become PACEY

(48 Posts)
Italiana Fri 09-Nov-12 11:39:42

NCMA has announced their new name will be PACEY = Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years

Happy or not?

mindingalongtime Thu 21-Mar-13 10:54:22

I'm leaving after 25 years, (10 spent doing county organisation too) they didn't even email me, though I am signed up for emails.

The name is awful, and they have lost touch with childminders completely, this is going to cost them dearly.

Tanith Wed 20-Mar-13 21:12:42

I'm pretty angry about the way the NCMA have handled the whole name change and have not appeared to represent our interests at all

But...

I see Penny Tassoni is the new President. I like her a lot: she's one of the few Early Years authors that makes an effort to include childminders. So I'm on the fence at the moment.

fraktion Wed 20-Mar-13 15:26:41

Wouldn't bother with PACEY until you know how they'll turn out.

There's BAPN or Voice also open to nannies.

julieann606 Wed 20-Mar-13 14:49:36

As someone who was about to register with the NCMA (or now PACEY), I'm guessing I should reconsider? Are there really any benefits to it anymore? Please don't shoot me, but I'm actually a Nanny not a CM, but with all the changes etc going on with the government, I'm sure I'll go through the process they currently recommend for someone like me, only to find they change it all in less than a year! Thanks for you advice in advance.

mindingalongtime Tue 13-Nov-12 16:48:41

HSMM you and me both, I haven't been informed and In have been an NCMA member 26 years, I am totally disgusted with them

Italiana Tue 13-Nov-12 09:36:38

There is a very interesting debate in NCMA Local and I hope c/ms will be allowed their opinion and input on their experience
NCMA did send out emails Did you not receive yours?
NCMA also researched rebranding with 'non members' such as preschools and nurseries..however the result of this reasearch is not published....do non members count more? and how many are queing up to join PACEY?
You are not the only one HSMM...is rebranding worth the loss of c/ms?

This is not the end because there are determinde c/ms to ensure this is not buried...hope you join us

HSMM Tue 13-Nov-12 09:12:33

Not surprised at all that NCMA decided to change their name with little or no support from its members. I shall be reconsidering my membership next time it comes up for renewal.

HSMM Tue 13-Nov-12 09:11:18

I found it more surprising that I found out from Mumsnet Nursery World before anything came to me from NCMA. An all member email wouldn't have cost much.

Italiana Tue 13-Nov-12 07:38:49

NCMA has 37,000 members and yesterday Nursery World published an article apparently given to NW on Friday afternoon by NCMA shortly after the rebranding announcement
The article states that NCMA consulted with its 1500 members who voted for name change
I did ring NW corecting them NCMA has a m'ship of 37000 and that only 1500 replied to the survey
To me this is not a mandate

I have asked NCMA to pause and put the rebranding to the vote to get 51% consent, I have written to the chair and got no reply and received an unsatisfactory reply on NCMA Local forum
(I have written to the previous chair and always got an immediate reply)Does anyone know if a email needs to be at least acknowledged?

I have been to 2 meetings about this and I know the vast majority were against name change and widening of membership...to me this is not democratic
We usually have a conference in November and this would have come up and possibly voted down...the next one will have to be by February (according to the constitution) and by that time NCMA will have won its argument

I am really concerned at the lack of democratic process here..the only thing I know is that NCMA have opted for a name change to represent our professionalism even more...I am not convinced by that

Maybe time to reflect on whether thier membership is worth the money

Italiana Mon 12-Nov-12 18:39:31

Got it this morning for, as you say, £1...it has been recently updated

MrAnchovy Mon 12-Nov-12 16:37:09

It is a public document available from Companies House for £1 (you want the latest version of the Articles of Association).

I have a copy but I am not sure if it would be a breach of copyright to publish it: send me a message here or via my website (mranchovy.com) if you want it.

Italiana Mon 12-Nov-12 07:19:12

Is there anybody here who know how to access the NCMA constitution?
I can only find the model for those who wish to set up a grioup but not the NCMA one

Thank you for your help

Italiana Sun 11-Nov-12 07:37:13

Thank you Mr Anchovy...this ties very well with the email received form CEOs, I am a volunteer for the Greater London, therefore got the email on 2 Nov before it was announced to all...

All makes sense now and I think there is a little time before 'implementation' which gives us a chance to get to hear what the DfE announces very shortly and whether it ties with rebranding and agency status for NCMA and our response to this !

Following the Q&A session on Sat 17 Nov I am now going to use the time between 12-1pm for a debate....hopefully we have news by DfE by then...we'll gather what the mood is then.

If you are still coming it may be of interest to you and feel free to raise any concerns on behalf of your c/ms clients

MrAnchovy Sat 10-Nov-12 23:53:49

@fraktion ah yes, sorry I was missing your point. Unfortunately I suspect only a handful of the 30,000 childminder members of the NCMA (or is it less than that now?) actually know what the organisation the believe exists to represent them stands for. This is hardly helped by statements like "[the joint Chief Executives] also represent NCMA and home-based childcare to government, the media and other key stakeholders",

Do they really?

MrAnchovy Sat 10-Nov-12 23:45:38

To be totally accurate, the name has not yet been changed.

There was an Annual General Meeting of the company on the 27 October (You wouldn't know about this, the only people entitled to attend are those who are recorded on the Register of Members, and these are only the Directors who are also the Trustees of the Charity. This is not an unusual arrangement for charities.)

At that meeting a conditional resolution was passed to change the name. This resolution does not take effect until the Joint Chief Executives (Catherine Farrell and Liz Bayram) decide that they are ready.

Documents recording that resolution were received at Companies House on 30 October and were recorded as filed on the 1 November.

So I was a bit premature saying they have already changed the name, they will have to file another document confirming that the condition has been met to finalise that. They may have done that already as it takes a couple of days for documents to appear in the public record.

Italiana Sat 10-Nov-12 20:29:20

Thank you Nannynick...I was out when you put the link here therefore it had timed out by the time I got to it hours later...not as much of an expert in this field as you clearly are, my skills are in other areas!

I will try to follow your instructions...I do not need the document just to see the date the change was filed

nannynick Sat 10-Nov-12 18:56:04

Clearly a link can't be posted, as it times out after a certain amount of time.
To find it, use Companies House Webcheck and search using National Childminding in the name field. Then click on the company registration number, then click Order Information On This Company. You then get a list of the documents, thus can see the date the name change was filed. If you want the actual document, it will cost I expect, I haven't gone that far as I doubt it will tell you anything you don't already know.

Italiana Sat 10-Nov-12 15:48:32

Nannynick ..thanks for the link but it has a 'failure' message. Please can you post it again
Mr Anchovy that explains your knowledge

I assume we have to wait until DfE announces its proposals before thinking of what to do next and I will be able to hear more when I go to the conference with Truss on 4 Dec

Can we challenge the rebranding? can we ask for the financial report to be published...what in fact can we do if all along we have been fighting deregulation but it may have been in vain?

These are the questions I posted on NCMA Local..am I likely to get a response?

'Adding professional in front of Association does not mean we have a professional name....its members are the 'professionals' and have always been contrary to those who believe the introduction of the EYFS 2008 propelled us in that sphere

Can anyone explain 'why it had to happen' to:

- those who have been searching for the reason for rebranding but can only find one and that is NCMA preparing to be an 'agency' by which we 'assume' some deregulation is coming

- to those who know that the vast majority of c/ms 'voted' against rebranding

- to those who feel that '1500' replies to the survey is not a 'mandate' for the board to ignore our wishes

- to those who know this will cost a lot of money and use much valuable time when NCMA should concentrate on fighting deregulation

- to those who feel that the Board went against the wishes of its paying members who feel it is 'undemocratic'

- to those who asked why and were told it would happen anyway no matter what we voted.....

- to those who feel let down

- to those who voted against 'widening of the membership' but were ingnored

- to those who feel our representing association must act on the members' wishes

I am not an expert in these matters but I, as member, ask that NCMA 'pause' the rebranding and put it to the members vote, not a survey, giving clear reasons for rebranding, to seek a 'majority' mandate by which 51% of the membership gives authority to proceed because we are clear as to the reasons'

fraktion Sat 10-Nov-12 13:29:01

I did read it, and I've been aware for a while that what they say they do and what CMs believe they're joining them to do is different, hence 'supposed' as in people suppose that's what it is. Otherwise I'd have said its stated mandate, which is different, but most people take no notice of that.

MrAnchovy Sat 10-Nov-12 13:17:33

I am an accountant and I have a couple of clients who are childminders. Advising on regulation and governance is part of my job, so I know where to find information about charities, companies and government. I also have access to other information that is not published, through direct contact with government departments, services I pay to subscribe to and other sources.

...carry out it's supposed mandate of representing CMs - @fraction look again at the objects posted below. The NCMA doesn't set out to represent childminders, it sets out to "advance their education and training".

nannynick Sat 10-Nov-12 12:50:28

Name change at companies house can be seen here.

fraktion Sat 10-Nov-12 12:39:30

I think NCMA are pushovers and it the Govt's pocket which is why they get so much funding.

Deregulation is probably coming, much as I wish it weren't and I would be happy to be proven wrong, and I suspect the unwillingness to rock the boat and actually carry out it's supposed mandate of representing CMs has played no small part in the decision. It's a bit 'oh well we're the biggest association and we have problem'. Yeah, but your members do!

mindingalongtime Sat 10-Nov-12 12:20:04

I've been a member for 26 years and they haven't told me!

Other childminders have personally addressed emails! But then I don't expect anything from NCMA and probably even less from PACEY, just an increase in the membership fe to pay for the rebranding

Italiana Sat 10-Nov-12 12:09:08

MR Anchovy...may ask what is your interest in this? you are very well informed...I get more from you than anywhere else

Italiana Sat 10-Nov-12 12:03:34

Thank you again...I am probably wrong about many things...just started to connect a few things
The number of staff has been cut but until we get this year's report we won't know

If NCMA are going to be our agency or preparing for one the members would have backed this because NCMA is what we would prefer say to LAs but they had to be honest with us and spekk it out
Many c/ms complain it is becoming very commercial

Am I right in assuming that while we were campaigning against deregulation and the agency they were actually negotiating this with the DfE? hence the reason they did not back the e-petition

As an agency ...if that was to be...they would make money out of the 'fee' charged for being one...why would a preschool come under PACEY when PLA is excellent at representation

I could not find their application to change the company's name online but you say they did this on 1 Nov...not even NCMA shows
All very worrying and my fear c/ms will go along with whatever happens without raising any questions
The 2 recent messages from NCMA CEOs point to deregulation, NCMA knows a lot more than we are told and changing the name was not an option ...so why consult and not just get on with it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now