Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Think this is going to end badly

(60 Posts)
Photoseverywhere Sat 13-Oct-12 09:04:05

My boss has just given me a new contract to sign as current charge has now gone to school, I've put the whole sorry saga in Employment issues I was told that I would not be on call during the day when my charge was at school and that I would not be working school holidays. I was also encouraged to get another job that fitted in with this ie during school hours only. I was also told I could claim Time of in Lieu. Last week I told her I was not available for an INSET day as I had plans and also told her I was owed a certain number of hours of in lieu for overtime worked.

Last night she gave me my new contract

“Your employers normal days of work are M-F for 50 hours. Your normal days of work are M-F for 25 hours. You may be required to work such additional hours as are reasonably necessary for the proper performance of your duties and meeting the needs of the family. Extra payment will not be made for any additional hours worked”

"Your employer has the right to vary your working hours and days in accordance with the family needs”

I don't want to sign it. Which means effectively I am handing in my notice of 4 weeks... this is going to end so badly sad My other issue is I am supposed to be doing 3 weeks proxy parenting and now that shes turned round like this I don't want to sad

I am a live in nanny so effectively when I hand in my notice on Monday (unless she says something over the weekend) then I am making myself homeless and will have no job.

Sorry for venting I just feel like my backs up against a wall.

Brycie Sat 13-Oct-12 16:33:43

Actually - good point, if she's already suggested you look for a job you should have NO problem getting a reference straight away. I would definitely let her cool her heels for a bit. Obviously the next employer will phone her but she'll know that if she badmouths you - you're still under her roof.

Brycie Sat 13-Oct-12 16:34:50

I think I must be a really horrible person but it looks to me like a reasonable person in serious danger of being railroaded by an unreasonable person if she continues to try to be reasonable!

Brycie Sat 13-Oct-12 16:35:25

The second "she" is the nanny - I'm sure you get what I mean photo.

Photoseverywhere Sat 13-Oct-12 16:44:14

Haha Brycie thought you were saying my boss was being rail roaded by me! grin

Just spoke to my mum! She said I should clarify what hours I am to work as I want to get a xmas job at boots etc, boss will then say well I want you available (which she said I wasn't to do) or say the hours I am free to work. If she says well I need you to be at my beck and call then I can say but you told me that I could get another job. Then say I am not happy to work for no pay, and leave it in my bosses court as to what then happens ie does she pay me or sack me. If she says someone else would sign just reiterate tto her that she said this ie "are you saying that you are ending our contract?" Then go from there.

Thanks for everyones help.

RandomMess Sat 13-Oct-12 16:49:13

Wise Mum you have there Photos smile

YokoOhNo Sat 13-Oct-12 16:56:09

I would stall her. Don't sign anything. She's obviously really, really pushing you to sign the new contract, but I'd simply take the copy contract, say thank you and tell her you'll just get it checked over by a lawyer to make sure it's all in order and hopefully there wont be too many amendments required and you'll be able to sign by the end of the week. Call her bluff. If she took legal advice, so she says, it's not unreasonable for you to do the same.

Whether you do go to a lawyer or not is up to you, but i agree with the other posters that it sounds highly unreasonable to me. I'm a lawyer (not employment, so no use to you) and I wouldn't sign that.

In the meantime, tell her that you'll need a reference for the school hours job she is proposing you get.

Karoleann Sat 13-Oct-12 21:23:42

What an appalling boss you have.
I think she's trying it on and hoping you'll Accept, she can't honestly think you'd work extra hours free!
As you've said you just need to have a chat with her (maybe tomorrow if you're living in) and explain that you're okay about this reduction in hours, but you need a way to offset the reduction in pay so you can either find another job. In which case you won't be around to to ad hoc and holiday cover. Or as a very minumin extra hours have to be paid.
Either way I wouldn't sign the contract and I certainly wouldn't take time in Leiu instead of pay. Then start looking or another job.

forevergreek Sun 14-Oct-12 16:38:27

i would write a note saying i you are available between x and y hours (as current contract says)

if any additional hours are needed they are to be paid at x amount per hour and subject to nanny availability

if you they need somebody 50hrs a week plus, then they need to be paying for 50hrs everyweek, otherwise what you do outside those hours is up to you

personally i would hand my notice in and find somewhere else

RandomMess Mon 15-Oct-12 22:03:12

How did it go, don't envy you being live in with the sort of atmosphere it must be creating sad

Brycie Tue 16-Oct-12 02:21:30

Yes I'm keen to find out what happened. I hope it all went well.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now