This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would like a position as an after school nanny. Am I too old?

(66 Posts)
ladydayblues Wed 10-Oct-12 16:58:09

I am 53 yrs. Have 4 four grown up children, last just off to Uni. Although I havent had a real job for 16 years, I am a graduate with an enhanced CRB and clean driving licence, can cook, clean and have a first aid qualification. I have supervised playdates, supervised music practice, supervised homework etc. What else do I need to be considered for this position as I am not getting any replies to my applications. I wonder if I am too old. Any suggestions would be really welcomed.

CelineMcBean Wed 10-Oct-12 17:03:38

Are you putting your age on applications? Because I don't see how your age is relevant. If you were 82yo I might but 53yo is years off state retirement age.

wadadlis Wed 10-Oct-12 17:06:54

Oh my god I really really hope you live near me, you sound wonderful!

Bonsoir Wed 10-Oct-12 17:08:04

Agree with wadadlis!

Where are you advertising/applying?

ladydayblues Wed 10-Oct-12 17:10:37

No I havent put my age on applications but with my "own children ranging from 30 to 20" its easy to work out that I am not a spring chicken! I just wondered if parents think I am too old to run around after their kids!

Bonsoir Wed 10-Oct-12 17:11:41

I would say that you have brought up four children of your own and not state ages. Having a 30 year old makes you sound 60+ to many ears.

wadadlis Wed 10-Oct-12 17:12:38

Never, YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD. Experience counts for everything IMO.
Good luck - don't give up, you seriously sound perfect.

Ladymuck Wed 10-Oct-12 17:13:05

Where are you advertising? Or are you applying for roles?

IME people like you are snapped up immediately!

CelineMcBean Wed 10-Oct-12 17:14:22

Yes take out the ages of children. Stick to the relevant facts.

Where do you live? Round here parents would be desperate to snap you up

cheaperthantherapy Wed 10-Oct-12 17:14:49

No!! Definitely not too old smile

Maybe try word of mouth - through friends children / your own children etc?

Good luck.

ladydayblues Wed 10-Oct-12 17:17:12

OH thinks it could be that I have "no previous experience". I have been looking through Gumtree as I wasnt keen on going to an Agency, as they seem to require a great deal of nanny qualifications. Am based in London

BackforGood Wed 10-Oct-12 17:17:48

I'd have thought that it would be considered a + point, not a disadvantage - all that experience. smile

Surrealistrhinoceros Wed 10-Oct-12 17:18:49

I have a DS with ?ASD and a few other issues and a kind experienced older lady would be well up my list of preferences if looking for an after school nanny (sorry, we aren't right now!)

I agree I would put your actual age as if your prospective employer was used to a model of women having babies in late twenties or thirties they might put you at 60 plus. Not that this should be a problem either but they might think you are close to wanting to retire or a bit less physically active for running round after young ones?

Good luck

Ladymuck Wed 10-Oct-12 17:25:13

Is there definitely no previous experience? Childcare for friends, helping at school, cubs, brownies etc?

dikkertjedap Wed 10-Oct-12 17:27:06

Not too old, could it be that people are worried you are too expensive????

ladydayblues Wed 10-Oct-12 17:32:31

So shall I bite the bullet and approach an Agency? Two of my children are dyslexic so I am v experience there and one has ADHD, so I can handle that. Is that worth mentioning? I just dont have a piece of paper saying I am qualified in childcare!

Catilla Wed 10-Oct-12 17:33:24

How have you been responding to ads? I really appreciate responses where the candidate tries to explain how their experience, skills and preferences suit the role. Your post here is chatty but to the point about what you have - formalise that a bit for the target audience, match it to their advert, and I'd have thought you would definitely be invited!

I'd focus on your children (experience, plus now freedom to be flexible) plus your background (graduate etc) means you can treat the children how the parents would like, help with homework etc, plus you have the formalities of CRB/first aid.

Like other posters, I'd be keen to meet you too!
Maybe advertise on Mumsnet Local?

Catilla Wed 10-Oct-12 17:34:40

Just to add, after cross-posting, that IME paper quals in childcare are worth squat. Not one nanny I've met with "qualifications" has given me confidence that they could apply the necessary combination of loving care, fun and responsibility that is needed.

ladydayblues Wed 10-Oct-12 17:35:34

I take children camping for 2 weeks every summer as a volunteer, which is why I have an enhanced CRB. I just dont have any direct Nanny/childminding experience.

Asmywhimsytakesme Wed 10-Oct-12 17:35:51

My nanny is your age - all that experience was a massive plus point smile

CelineMcBean Wed 10-Oct-12 17:36:16

If you are in London then I would stop applying for specific jobs and start doing things like putting up cards in newsagent's windows, school noticeboards, children's centres, play cafes or anywhere else they will let you and there are parents stating that you are looking for work as an after school nanny (pos a mother's help if prepared to clean).

Include the following:

You have brought up 4 children
You are a graduate
You have an enhanced CRB
You have a clean driving licence
You can cook and clean (only if you're prepared to do both on the job, otherwise just cooking)
You have a first aid qualification
You speak English fluently
You have a good standard of numeracy and literacy
Any musical ability you might have
Any relevant voluntary work you have done

Also include the hourly rate you are looking for and that you can supply references. Who would be your references? Do you not have any recent experience at all? It doesn't have to be paid.

CelineMcBean Wed 10-Oct-12 17:38:05

x-posted. That recent experience and disability experience are massive plus points. Make sure you include them.

I am thinking you would be able to get a reference from the volunteering too?

I think you need to sell yourself and let parents come to you!

And if you're in SW London please PM me!

DowagersHump Wed 10-Oct-12 17:38:19

I would try FindaBabysitter too - it's free to advertise. I had plenty of applicants from women your age when I was trying to find someone for DS - I wanted someone young because it's only a couple of hours and really he wants someone to play with (only child) but if I had a clutch of kids, I would definitely prefer an older person!

My friend has a p-t nanny/helper for her DD who is severely disabled and she is in her 50s and has worked with them for years. She's absolutely wonderful with her DD. I would definitely put your experience with your children with LDs down on your profile - I'm sure that you'll get people biting your hand off smile

BlastOff Wed 10-Oct-12 17:45:12

Are you maybe advertising in the wrong places? Our nanny is in her late 30s and I specifically wanted someone not in their late teens/early 20s.

ladydayblues Wed 10-Oct-12 17:46:23

Aw - Thank You!
Since I took my youngest off to Uni four weeks ago I was feeling the empty nest syndrome, so wanted to use the parenting skills I have. I now have a better idea of approach and will carry on, applying your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now