This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

4 years since last ofsted

(20 Posts)
Smarties789 Wed 17-Oct-12 17:30:21

I'm the same as you raspberry tart. October 2008 was my last inspection. Just wish they would come so its over and done with.

I was inspected in october 2008, my first one.
Still waiting for the call this time round :-/

anewyear Mon 15-Oct-12 09:27:06

I had my 1st inspection back in March 2008,
In July 2011 due to a concern brought to my attention by a parent, Ofsted and the Safeguarding team were involved, I thought, as I was over due then I would have my inspection shortly.
Im still waiting 4yr 7mths later.

Italiana Thu 11-Oct-12 22:19:04

Gove is the Secretary of State for Education and I am very aware of his letter which prompted my email to him directly for clarification on his intention
The reply is that he is introducing less regualation via the EYFS and something discussed at my meeting with DfE itself
His letter to Sir Michael also got me a reply from HMCI himself

The senior Manager attending the event is Liz Elsom and I trust she will be very capable of clarifying any grey areas for c/ms...I'd rather they had it from the horse's mouth than through LAs interpretations aimed at ticking their own boxes...I have found the manager always very open and willing to help and it will be a free event and not an extortionate affair

I believe it will be a success if we can get c/ms to engage and attend...several bookings have been received already

MrAnchovy Thu 11-Oct-12 16:11:31

"I have no idea who the govt minister is you are referring to"

Michael Gove. You can see his name on the bottom of the letter I linked to hmm

nannynick Thu 11-Oct-12 15:15:48

You are not naming the person, but I think this describes her:

"She has been with Ofsted since 1999. She is currently divisional manager for early years and childcare and is responsible for policy, frameworks and guidance for the regulation of those providers on the Early Years and Childcare Registers held by Ofsted, and for the inspection of children’s centres."

So she may be able to confirm that they got behind on inspections again (they got behind in my days working for them, so 2003/04) and that those not done now won't ever be done but will be scheduled as per usual during the current inspection cycle. She may even tell you what the Ofsted policy is for deciding when someone gets an inspection.

Italiana I think it's great that you have managed to get someone from Ofsted to come along to a meeting and give her verbal answers to questions from Childminders.

Italiana Thu 11-Oct-12 14:27:16

I did not say that Mr Anchovy
The manager attending our event is the same one who has been invited to speak at many events during the summer, these have always been put on during the week and are extremely expensive

This event is specifcally for c/ms who are affeted the most by the changes to the EYFS and inspections
I have no idea who the govt minister is you are referring to as anyone in govt would not answer questions about inspections but refer you to Ofsted for clarification

I was merely commenting on the variety of interpretations and hope this event will put things right
Those interested can attend or send me questions to put to the manager whose 'verbal answer' I will trust to be true
I have attended several conferences with her as speaker and trust her knowledge on this matter
She will also be speaking at the Sure Start conference on 16 Oct answering precisely the same questions but at the cost of £ 340+ I doubt many c/ms will be there while our event is free and I have personally paid for the venue

C/ms can access further info about this event from NCMA Local where they will find my contact details to book their place or via twitter

I respect your input and expertise in your field Mr Anchovy please do the same for others
I am not an expert but simply giving c/ms the opportunity to speak for themselves and avoid being given 'prescriptive' conditions by their LAs about how we are to be inspected

MrAnchovy Thu 11-Oct-12 11:38:31

I'm not sure why you would take more notice of a verbal answer from a member of Ofsted's regional staff than the written instruction from the responsible governement minister which created the new timetable, but hey ho.

Italiana Thu 11-Oct-12 09:09:58

This is all very interesting as we all interpret differently but I feel we should be 'sure' about the new system
I will make sure this question is put to Ofsted at our Q&A event on 17 Nov

We are planning to have written questions for the Manager of Early Years and Childcare so she can get through as many queries as possible...if you have a question please let me know and I will include it on your behalf if you are unable to attend

MrAnchovy Wed 10-Oct-12 23:03:46

This letter is the current situation. Reading between the lines they got so far behind that there was no alternative but to abandon the previous re-inspection programme altogether. Ofsted now has until the end of July 2016 to inspect everyone on the register at the end of July 2012. Ofsted have already said that inspection of those graded outstanding (and possibly good) is a lower priority so unless you were satisfactory on your last inspection my guess is you are unlikely to get a call any time soon. They are probably hoping (with some justification) that a new system will be in place before July 2016 so if they are falling behind it won't matter anyway.

HSMM Wed 10-Oct-12 21:46:40

I think they'll probably start the new cycle with oldest reports (or urgent ones) though. I think my source was fairly reliable. I do of course expect my inspection within this next cycle, but hopefully I'm not an urgent case smile

Italiana Wed 10-Oct-12 21:40:15

I attended a conference recently with one of Ofsted's managers ...that is what she said 'verbatim'
Do check on their website though if you want to make doubly sure as the recent publications do explain about all this...I prefer to do it that way rather that what I hear

HSMM Wed 10-Oct-12 21:35:03

I don't mean old EYFS. I mean people who had their last inspection in 2008 and I heard it from Ofsted.

Italiana Wed 10-Oct-12 19:43:08

There is no catching up with EYFS 2008 as the new inspection cycle started August 2012....the inspections are now for EYFS 2012
At a recent Local Authority meeting we were told that the Ofsted screen has gone 'blank' in other words everyone will be inspected in the new cycle

I will make sure that question is clarified at the Ofsted event i mentioned above and report to you

looneytune Wed 10-Oct-12 17:48:27

When I phoned recently (was 3 years in March) I was told not to expect a call for at least 6 months. They told me about the latest cycle although I was told they had until 31st August 2017, he obviously got that slightly wrong!

HSMM Wed 10-Oct-12 17:42:19

I have heard they are desperately trying to catch up with the 2008 inspections, so I'm hoping (as mine was 2009) they're going to leave me alone for a while.

elvisola Wed 10-Oct-12 16:31:10

I am in the dame boat, my last inspection was Feb 2009 so 47 months takes me to Jan 2013. Should I be expecting my inspection before then so they don't go over the 47 months or do I now fall into the new 47 month cycle?

Italiana Wed 10-Oct-12 16:09:38

It was before but since the EYFS 2012 it will be 47 months between inspections (unless concerns are raised)
The new inspection cycle started August 2012 and will end August 2016 by which time all settings will undergo an inspection
If you need more information the Ofsted website will provide it under the new and recent publications

If you are interested I have organized a c/ms/Ofsted Free Q&A event on 17 Nov with Ofsted Divisional Early Years and Childcare Manager to get any grey areas about inspections and EYFS cleared
If interested book your place

All this info is posted in another blog

nannynick Wed 10-Oct-12 16:08:19

Current inspection cycle just started, so you should get an inspection sometime before end of July 2016.

Smarties789 Wed 10-Oct-12 14:01:52

I'm a childminder and it has been 4 years now since my last ofsted inspection. Just wondering if anyone knew what was going on. I thought they were supposed to be every 3 years?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now