Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Parents birthday

(10 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Wed 10-Oct-12 13:49:31

I always give a card from Myself to Mb and db

And then make a card with dc and either bake a cake or make or buy something from the children - using kitty money

shock and grin at mr a

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Wed 10-Oct-12 13:03:44

I never get the parents a present or a card, but always do something with the kids (make a cake/present/photos).

grin at MrAnchovy's thought process on receiving a birthday gift!

laanndaaannanny Wed 10-Oct-12 12:44:36

A cakes a great idea thanks!

NatashaBee Wed 10-Oct-12 11:43:44

Get the kids to make a picture/ cakes and give it to him as a present from all of you.

MrAnchovy Wed 10-Oct-12 11:41:00

Oooo a cake, yes please - the kids love cooking and I love cake!

MrAnchovy Wed 10-Oct-12 11:40:21

This is just my personal opinion as a parent: DO NOT BUY A PRESENT.

You pay for a present from your taxed income that you earn from the family. Let's say it costs £10. Before tax and NI you had to earn £14.70 to get that £10 net. The parents had to pay £2.03 NI on top, so £16.73 in all.

But they paid that from their income after tax, even if they don't pay higher rate tax they would need to earn £24.60 to get £16.73 net.

So while it's the thought that counts, the thought when you give the parent a £10 bottle of wine is "happy birthday HMRC, I've got a nice bottle of wine and you've got £14.60".

I would be delighted if you took a few £ from the kitty to buy craft materials for a collage. Or (if it is not included in your rate) babysat for free so I could go out with my partner.

Ebb Wed 10-Oct-12 10:54:41

I agree - a card would be fine. Get the children to paint / make a picture and maybe make a cake with them if you feel you want to do more.

ZuleikaD Wed 10-Oct-12 09:22:26

I wouldn't get him a present. Just a card will be fine I think - I'm positive he wouldn't expect anything from you.

GrimAndHumourless Tue 09-Oct-12 19:30:26

could you get the children to collage a frame and pop a nice pic of them into into it?

laanndaaannanny Tue 09-Oct-12 19:19:32

I've been nannying for a family for a couple of weeks now and it's the fathers birthday soon and I don't know what to do present wise. I don't really know what he'd like to buy him something, so thought maybe just a card. But I don't want to seem really cheap :s It's one of the children's birthdays right after and I'm planning on getting them a present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now