This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How does the parents' nationality affect the Nanny's treatment/conditions ?

(3 Posts)
Frakiosaurus Tue 09-Oct-12 19:55:44

I think you can make some generalisations about what is culturally normal for the parents but how that translates to the relationship with the nanny is difficult to quantify.

Some cultures are in general more security conscious than Britain so CCTV is normal but that doesn't mean all families from that culture will have it, more than its bit particularly surprising to find that particular setup in a family from <insert culture here>

Nationality has very little to do with it, it's more the unquantifiable cultural norms that differ.

So IME it wouldn't be surprising for an Italian or Spanish family to have a very relaxed view on bedtimes. It wouldn't be surprising for a French boss to be quite didactic/controlling (from a British nanny POV). It wouldn't be surprising for a wealthy Arab family to expect the nanny to address senior members of the family only when spoken to. However that's not to say all families are like that, just that it's a common family or employer-domestic employee dynamic in that culture.

nannynick Tue 09-Oct-12 11:33:07

Scottish - seem more relaxed about things.

Not sure you can generalise about nationalities.

BestestBrownies Tue 09-Oct-12 11:30:42

Just that really.

I want to stress that this isn't a racist thread - just one to highlight the cultural differences and pros/cons of working for families of different nationalities.

This stems from the fact that I went for an interview recently with a Russian family and the whole house (including interior) was monitored by CCTV. I was a bit shocked as I'd not seen that before, but a Nanny friend made a throwaway comment that "That's normal with Russian families"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now