This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

What does your nanny do?

(6 Posts)
TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Oct-12 19:59:35

Look after the children of course!! But what else? Can you let me know if you ask your nanny to do anything over and above the general welfare of the children, i.e. house related?

Our new nanny is great, she started a few weeks ago and I have been asking her to do ad hoc things like put a load in the dryer but I want to stop asking her everyday and give her a (reasonable) list with her responsibilities.

Thanks!

nbee84 Mon 08-Oct-12 20:33:08

Am a nanny - anything to do with the children.

I wash/dry their clothes.
I change, wash and dry their bed linen.
Tidy, hoover and dust their bedrooms.
Clean up any areas of the house that we use - mainly kitchen after I have cooked and they have eaten and playroom. I try to leave the house as I find it when I arrive.
Clean their bathroom (parents have an ensuite so only the children use the family bathroom)
Sort out toys - cleaning or mending as needed.
Sew name tapes into school uniform.
Make costumes for school book day etc

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Mon 08-Oct-12 20:49:36

It is reasonable to ask a nanny to do any jobs that are for the children, taking into account number of children/what else the nanny needs to do during the day. Some nannies are happy to do other jobs as well.

I do the children's laundry (no ironing), sometimes change their beds, clean up any mess we've made during the day (wipe sink/bath, wipe sides, sweep floor, load dishwasher, wash up etc), organise toys/books/clothes, manage their social calendar (keep track of invitations, after school clubs, homework, school events etc).

I don't do any cleaning as they have a cleaner.

I have 4 under 8 and their parents prefer me to be out and about with them as much as possible, so household duties are very much on the back burner for me.

WickedGirl Mon 08-Oct-12 20:57:39

I just look after the children (aged 25 months and 2 months) and re heat lunch for the older child (it is already made and in the fridge for me). The family have a housekeeper so she does any cleaning, cooking, washing and sorting that needs to be done

I am only there 2 days a week though

mogandme Mon 08-Oct-12 21:03:56

I wash/dry/iron their clothes - occassionally sort through and make sure they all still fit.
I change, wash and dry their bed linen weekly
Tidy, hoover and dust their bedrooms weekly
Clean up any areas of the house that we use
Clean their bathroom
Sort out toys - cleaning or mending as needed.
Sew name tapes into school uniform.
Make costumes for school book day etc
Run childrens errands - picking up birthday cards/gifts, buying new wellies etc
Batch cook if I have time/ingredients/inclination

Frakiosaurus Tue 09-Oct-12 20:03:34

Is this not set out in the job description part of her contract? Much better to have these things written down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now